Splunk Search

How to use Wildcards with eval, stats, and count?

cdson
Explorer

Hello! I have a field called "Customers Email" and I wanted to get a count of all the emails that end in .gov, .edu, .org and so on. I am using the eval and stats count functions to do this; however, my results show up with values of 0 for each type of email. Since wildcards do not work with eval, I put the wildcards like ".*..gov" so that it would just look at the .gov etc. of each email.

This is my search:

| stats count(eval("Customers Email" = ".*..gov")) as ".gov", count(eval("Customers Email" = ".*..org")) as ".org", count(eval("Customers Email" = ".*..com")) as ".com", count(eval("Customers Email" = ".*..edu")) as ".edu", count(eval("Customers Email" = ".*..us")) as ".us", count(eval("Customers Email" = ".*..net")) as ".net"

This is the output I get from running this search:

Screen Shot 2022-11-09 at 11.06.14 AM.png

Is there a reason why I am getting a count of 0?

Labels (1)
0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Field names with spaces in should be in single quotes (not double quotes) - you could use the match function, note that dots (.) are wild in regex so need to be escaped - try and avoid field names with dots in. Try this

| stats count(match('Customers Email',".*\.gov")) as "gov", count(match('Customers Email',".*\.org")) as "org", count(match('Customers Email',".*\.com")) as "com", count(match('Customers Email',".*\.edu")) as "edu", count(match('Customers Email',".*\.us")) as "us", count(match('Customers Email',".*\.net")) as "net"
0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You'll need to put the 'eval' statement in those stats commands suggested by @ITWhisperer 

| stats count(eval(match('Customers Email',".*\.gov"))) as "gov"
        count(eval(match('Customers Email',".*\.org"))) as "org"
        count(eval(match('Customers Email',".*\.com"))) as "com"
        count(eval(match('Customers Email',".*\.edu"))) as "edu"
        count(eval(match('Customers Email',".*\.us"))) as "us"
        count(eval(match('Customers Email',".*\.net"))) as "net"

but note that the match statement will match anywhere in the string, so if your email is

me@this.governor.com

it will match .gov as well as .com

so you should add a $ sign at the end of the match string to ensure the end of string.

Alternatively, if you are just looking to count TLDs in email addresses, you could do

| rex field="Customers Email" ".*\.(?<tld>.*)"
| stats count by tld
| transpose 0 header_field=tld
| fields - column

which would catch all tlds, not just the ones in the eval - just in case you had some there you didn't expect - if you don't want them, you can always filter them out.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Stay Connected: Your Guide to May Tech Talks, Office Hours, and Webinars!

Take a look below to explore our upcoming Community Office Hours, Tech Talks, and Webinars this month. This ...

They're back! Join the SplunkTrust and MVP at .conf24

With our highly anticipated annual conference, .conf, comes the fez-wearers you can trust! The SplunkTrust, as ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had two releases of new security content via the Enterprise ...