How to show only related fields when condition matches

vikashperiwal89
Engager

Hi Team,

I am trying to create a search which says 

If myField= xyz, then i need to show id , salary ,department fields in table

If myField = abc then need to show location, address, phone fields in tabke

Similarly if myField = ddd then need to show age, ht, gender.. fields in table

i was trying to use case , if statement but not sure how to get multiple fields in table based on condition....by using drop it would be easy as i can set condition and get the output , but want to do this in search..

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @vikashperiwal89,

if you have few conditions, you could try something like this:

Your_search
| eval display_fields=case(myField="xyz", id." - ".salary." - ".department, myField="abc", location." - ".address." - ".phone, myField="ddd",age." - ".ht." - ".gender)
| table _time myField display_fields

if you don't like to have all the fields in one field you can divide them after.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @vikashperiwal89,

if you have few conditions, you could try something like this:

Your_search
| eval display_fields=case(myField="xyz", id." - ".salary." - ".department, myField="abc", location." - ".address." - ".phone, myField="ddd",age." - ".ht." - ".gender)

if you don't like to have all the fields in one field you can divide them after.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

vikashperiwal
Path Finder

@gcusello , 

The solution works , but i am getting all the fields values concatenated under one field.

Is it possible we have have each field as separate for example, extending the below use case

Your_search

I want in below format

_timemyFieldIdsalarydepartment
time vauexyz11000000cse
time valuexyz22000000IT

Tags (1)
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @vikashperiwal,

yes, as I said, if you want divided fields, you have to divide them after display using e.g. a regex:

| rex field=display_fields "^(?<field1>[^-]+)-(?<field2>[^-]+)-(?<field3>.+)"

The problem is to give the correct name field to the column because SPL isn't a procedural language so you cannot rename a field based on an if  condition.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...