Splunk Search

How to set up an alert that will show when someone other than those 3 are trying to log in?

kbohlken
Observer

I have a small environment.  I have 3 users that are allowed to login to a particular server.  If I search:

index=<index name>  user=<username>  OR user=<username> OR user=<username>

I find all instances of them logging in.  How can I find users that are not equal to those 3 users?  I want to set up an alert that will let me know when someone other than those 3 are trying to log in.

Labels (1)
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @kbohlken,

if you're speaking of login to Splunk, you can use this search:

Splunk_Audit eventtype

index=_audit sourcetype = audittrail action="login attempt"

Splunk_Logfail

eventtype=Splunk_Audit info=failed

Splunk_Login

eventtype=Splunk_Audit info=succeeded

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

kbohlken
Observer

Not logging into Splunk.  I have a server that forwards it's log to Splunk.  I want Splunk to alert me when someone, that is not one of the three users, tries to log in.  I want to define which three users are allowed and if anyone besides them tries I will be notified.  I do not want failed attempts.  Just when it is someone I do not know.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @kbohlken,

what kind of server have you: windows or Linux?

if you are speaking of a windows server, you could run something like this:

index=wineventlog EventCode=4624 User_Name!="*SERVI*" AND User_Name!="SYST*"
| stats count BY Account_name

if you are speaking of a Linux server, you could run something like this:

index=os "accepted password"
| stats count BY user

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Combine Multiline Logs into a Single Event with SOCK - a Guide for Advanced Users

This article is the continuation of the “Combine multiline logs into a single event with SOCK - a step-by-step ...

Everything Community at .conf24!

You may have seen mention of the .conf Community Zone 'round these parts and found yourself wondering what ...

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...