Splunk Search

How to search freetext after a join?

Konrad_Schlude
Observer

I'm looking for a way to search for freetext after a join.

It is easy when the field is known. For instance, there is a join with left L and right R, and the value of variable $id$ can be in one corresponding fields (in this example, both fields have the same name):

| search L.id=$id$ OR R.id=$id$

But how to search for something like freetext when this text can be a substring in any field of one of the two parts? I don't want to write a check for every field, so I tried things with "_raw" or "L._raw": Nothing worked.

Labels (1)
0 Karma

Gr0und_Z3r0
Contributor

You can use OR condition in your search  and use stats where the events match, instead of doing a join operation.

index=myindex 
("Processing started") OR ("Processing finished with result")
|stats count by id
|where count>1

0 Karma

Konrad_Schlude
Observer

Thanks for the fast reply. The idea is to join a request with the result of this request. Something like:

index=... "Processing started"
| join type=left left=L right=R where L.id = R.id [search index=... "Processing finished with result"]
| table _time L.id L.dataSource L.message R.message R.orderNumber
| sort _time desc

Simplified data:

id=1234 dataSource=system1 message="Processing started of request from user abc"
id=1234 dataSource=system1 message="Processing finished with result: Success" orderNumber=56789

0 Karma

Gr0und_Z3r0
Contributor

can you provide some sample data?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Stay Connected: Your Guide to May Tech Talks, Office Hours, and Webinars!

Take a look below to explore our upcoming Community Office Hours, Tech Talks, and Webinars this month. This ...

They're back! Join the SplunkTrust and MVP at .conf24

With our highly anticipated annual conference, .conf, comes the fez-wearers you can trust! The SplunkTrust, as ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had two releases of new security content via the Enterprise ...