Splunk Search

How to filter logs with different and same fields?

nmayafit
Path Finder

Hi. Subject is confusing so here goes. I have 3 log lines:

org=A Status=Success

org=A Status=Fail

org=B Status=Success

I would like to get stats for orgs that have Status=Success, but not if those orgs have even one log where Status=Fail.

I tried to filter in the search query (but then, I get the line where org=A Status=Success) and in a WHERE clause, with no luck. I'm trying to find the right method to do this kind of filtering.

Thanks!

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
| stats values(Status) as Status by org
| where NOT Status="Fail"
0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I assume these are three separate events.  You can't filter one event based on value of another event. If you want just a summary of your orgs do something like that

<your base search>
| stats values(Status) by org
| where NOT Status="Fail"

If you want full events use eventstats instead of stats but be aware that eventstats is limited by resource constraints so may not work well on big datasets.

0 Karma

nmayafit
Path Finder

Thanks.

I tried that already, but it still shows the results in the stats.

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

That's why I said - if you're ok with just the aggregation, use simple stats command. If you want to retain the original events, use eventstats (with the same syntax). Just be warned about the possible performance issues.

0 Karma

nmayafit
Path Finder

I don't need the original events, so I use stats, but it still shows as a line with this values

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Right. Forgot to rename the resulting field with stats. See @ITWhisperer 's answer. It is conceptually the same as mine, it's just that he didn't forget to alias the field 🙂 His solution should work. Mine should also work if you replaced the where condition with:

| where NOT 'values(Status)'="Fail"
0 Karma

nmayafit
Path Finder

I tried his and yours with no luck. Lines with the specific attributes still show.

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It seems like the information you have provided isn't sufficiently accurate for our suggested solutions to work. Please share more accurate representations of your raw events, preferably in a code block </> to prevent information being lost due to formatting.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Modern way of developing distributed application using OTel

Recently, I had the opportunity to work on a complex microservice using Spring boot and Quarkus to develop a ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had 3 releases of new security content via the Enterprise Security ...

Archived Metrics Now Available for APAC and EMEA realms

We’re excited to announce the launch of Archived Metrics in Splunk Infrastructure Monitoring for our customers ...