Splunk Search

How to create an Alert or dashboard for identifying if a server log hasn’t reported in 24 hrs?

Gggflyer

I created a search to list servers and the last time a windows log reported. 

command i am using is  Tstats latest(_time) as lastseen where (index=windows) by host | convert ctime(lastseen)

I am trying to compare that  “last seen” to current time and if more than 24 hrs then I would like to alert.

Any thoughts on how to identify and alert on that. Ultimately would love adding this to a dashboard.

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Karma

jotne
Builder

If you have many server/indexes/sourcetype to monitor, you can have a look at the app TrackMe
https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/4621

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @Gggflyer,

if you need to find hosts that didn't logged in the last 24 hours you can use the search from @richgalloway .

If you also need to find servers that didn't logged for a longer time or never logged, you should use a different similar approach:

you have to create a lookup containing the servers to monitor (called e.g. perimeter.csv) containing at lest one field (host) and the n running a search like the following:

| tstats count latest(_time) as lastseen WHERE (index=* earliest=-24h latest=now) BY host 
| eval host=lower(host)
| append [ | inputlookup perimeter.csv | eval host=lower(host), count=0 | fields host count ]
| stats sum(count) AS total values(lastseen) AS lastseen BY host
| where total=0
| convert ctime(lastseen)

Ciao.

Giuseppe

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Compare lastseen to the current time (value produced by the now() function) before converting the format.

| tstats latest(_time) as lastseen where (index=windows) by host 
| where lastseen <= relative_time(now(), "-24h")
| convert ctime(lastseen)

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Enter the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge for Your Chance to Win!

The Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge is underway! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

.conf24 | Session Scheduler is Live!!

.conf24 is happening June 11 - 14 in Las Vegas, and we are thrilled to announce that the conference catalog ...

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...