Splunk Search

How to create a search for Hosts that failed Authentication this week but were successful last?

atebysandwich
Path Finder

I have a table that has the following fields:

IP
Host_Auth

_time 

The _time field shows the time the host was authenticated against for the current week and the previous. 

How can I compare the Host_Auth field from the last two results for the same host? If the value for Host_Auth for a particular IP was successful last week by not this week, how can I show that?

Eample

IP                        Host_Auth                         _time 
1.1.1.1               Unix Successful             2023-04-23 00:00:00          
1.1.1.1                Unix Successful            2023-04-16 00:00:00  

2.2.2.2                Unix Failed                       2023-04-23 00:00:00 
2.2.2.2                 Unix Successful            2023-04-16 00:00:00 

Labels (1)
0 Karma

rut
Path Finder

Hi @atebysandwich, counting the unique values in Host_Auth by IP and checking the last state may be sufficient:

| makeresults format=csv data="
IP,Host_Auth,_time 
1.1.1.1,Unix Successful,2023-04-23 00:00:00          
1.1.1.1,Unix Successful,2023-04-16 00:00:00
2.2.2.2,Unix Failed,2023-04-23 00:00:00 
2.2.2.2,Unix Successful,2023-04-16 00:00:00 
3.3.3.3,Unix Successful,2023-04-23 00:00:00 
3.3.3.3,Unix Failed,2023-04-16 00:00:00 
4.4.4.4,Unix Failed,2023-04-16 00:00:00 
4.4.4.4,Unix Failed,2023-04-23 00:00:00
"
| stats dc(Host_Auth) as unique_count, last(Host_Auth) as last_auth by IP
| where unique_count>1 AND last_auth="Unix Failed"

I've added two more scenarios, so:

1. Success > Success (no result)
  2. Fail > Success (no result)
  3. Success > Fail (result)
  4. Fail > Fail (no result)

Is this what you're looking for?

0 Karma

atebysandwich
Path Finder

HI, this seems like it could work but I need to do this for over 8k IPs. Is there a way to do this without having to specify each one?

0 Karma

rut
Path Finder

I added the makeresults command to generate my testdata, you should replace that line with your own search.

0 Karma

atebysandwich
Path Finder

I'm sorry but I don't quite understand. There is about 20 lines before the example fields I provided in my question. Do i put the makeresults before that?

0 Karma

rut
Path Finder

Sorry for the confusion. You can ignore the makeresults command, I use it in my example to simulate the example data you provided. So it would look something like this:

.. your original search, containing the fields _time, Host_Auth and IP ..

0 Karma

atebysandwich
Path Finder

I got results but it doesn't seem to be accurate. For example, an IP showed up that was successful this week but not last week. What I'm looking for is the exact opposite. 

0 Karma

rut
Path Finder

Weird. The only reason I can think of why this wouldn't work is sorting. Have you tried sorting your results descending before applying the rest?

| sort -_time

The last function used in the stats command takes the last known value by IP, so if your results aren't sorted correctly that could mess things up.

0 Karma

atebysandwich
Path Finder

That didn't quite work either. There was only 1 result but over 1k of the 8k scanned failed this past week. 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Enter the Dashboard Challenge and Watch the .conf24 Global Broadcast!

The Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge is still happening, and it's not too late to enter for the week of ...

Join Us at the Builder Bar at .conf24 – Empowering Innovation and Collaboration

What is the Builder Bar? The Builder Bar is more than just a place; it's a hub of creativity, collaboration, ...

Combine Multiline Logs into a Single Event with SOCK - a Guide for Advanced Users

This article is the continuation of the “Combine multiline logs into a single event with SOCK - a step-by-step ...