Splunk Search

How to create Dependent Multiselect filter in Splunk dashboard?

itnewbie
Explorer

Hi I have a dashboard with multiple filters. I have a "customer" and "subsidiary" filter. I want the "customer" filter to display corresponding companies depending on the selection of "subsidiary" filter. 

My query for the "customer" filter is as follow, currently it is showing all companies

index IN ("organization_a_company", "organization_b_company")
| dedup name
| fields name

For the "subsidiary" filter, it has a static input with 

Name - Value
============
All - *
OrgA - OrgA
OrgB - OrgB

However, since the value of "subsidiary" is different from the actual index name. I need to perform eval case to map to corresponding indexes name. I tried something dynamic in "customer" filter like:

index IN ("organization_a", "organization_b")
| eval $sub$ = "OrgA" <- the $sub$ token should come from the "subsidiary" filter, I am just testing here
| eval filteredIndex = case($sub$ == "OrgA", "organization_a", $sub$ == "OrgB", "organization_b", 1=1, "organization_*")
| search index IN ($filteredIndex$)
| dedup name
| fields name

but it didn't give any results. I tried follow the example here by using $$ but still no luck. And I don't think I can put the eval before the search right? but how can I make the index dynamic then. Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @itnewbie,

I'd use for the subsidiary search thre fixed values (token called "sub"):

• All:            index=OrgA,
  • OrgA:      index=OrgB
  • OrgB:      index=OrgA OR index=OrgB

Then I'd use as search for the Customers:

$sub$
| dedup name
| fields name

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Get the T-shirt to Prove You Survived Splunk University Bootcamp

As if Splunk University, in Las Vegas, in-person, with three days of bootcamps and labs weren’t enough, now ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...