Splunk Search

How to chart with multiple hour fields from 0h to 24h?

jrich523
Path Finder

I have some performance data that is for the most part, fairly standard, such as SystemName, Metric (cpu, memory, whatever), counter type (percent, kbs, the unit basically), and then I have field 0h to 24h, which is the value on the hour.

I'd like to show, for example, the memory percent as a line chart, but I'm unsure how to tell Splunk to pull the data from the hour fields.

Sample Data:

Workload Name, Counter Name, Counter Metric,Rollup Type,    0h, 1h, 2h, 3h
SYSTEM1234, Read workload metric, number, max, 77, 141, 254, 190

this only shows hours 0 to 3, there are 24 of those fields.

So what i'd like to see is a line chart, where the X axis has the 0h, 1h, 2h all the way to 24h and the Y is retaliative to the values (in this case, 77-254)

Thanks

0 Karma
1 Solution

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Give this a try

your base search giving your fields Workload Name, Counter Name, Counter Metric,Rollup Type,  0h, 1h, 2h, 3h...
| eval Metric='Workload Name'.":".'Counter Name'.":".'Counter Metric'.":".'Rollup Type' | fields - "Workload Name" "Counter Name" "Counter Metric" "Rollup Type" | untable Metric hour value | table hour Metric value

OR

your base search giving your fields Workload Name, Counter Name, Counter Metric,Rollup Type,  0h, 1h, 2h, 3h...
    | eval Metric='Workload Name'.":".'Counter Name'.":".'Counter Metric'.":".'Rollup Type' | fields - "Workload Name" "Counter Name" "Counter Metric" "Rollup Type" | untable Metric hour value | chart values(value) over hour by Metric

View solution in original post

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Give this a try

| eval Metric='Workload Name'.":".'Counter Name'.":".'Counter Metric'.":".'Rollup Type' | fields - "Workload Name" "Counter Name" "Counter Metric" "Rollup Type" | untable Metric hour value | table hour Metric value

OR

| eval Metric='Workload Name'.":".'Counter Name'.":".'Counter Metric'.":".'Rollup Type' | fields - "Workload Name" "Counter Name" "Counter Metric" "Rollup Type" | untable Metric hour value | chart values(value) over hour by Metric

jrich523
Path Finder

Its still a little weird (seems like there is duplicate data perhaps?) but i was able to get that working. thanks! I'll have to go read up on untable, it seems to be the real magic here

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Can you post a sample event and desired output ?

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Like this:

Your Base Search Here | eval _time=YourHourFieldHere | rex field=_time mode=sed "s/[hH]$//" | eval _time=_time * 60 * 60 | fieldformat _time = strftime(_time, "%H") | timechart span=1h avg(*) AS * BY host

jrich523
Path Finder

I'm not sure I follow, where you have the YourHourFieldHere, that's one field, I have 24 fields related to time, h0, h1,h2 all the way to h24

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Combine Multiline Logs into a Single Event with SOCK - a Guide for Advanced Users

This article is the continuation of the “Combine multiline logs into a single event with SOCK - a step-by-step ...

Everything Community at .conf24!

You may have seen mention of the .conf Community Zone 'round these parts and found yourself wondering what ...

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...