Splunk Search

How to average fields together across multiple columns grouped together by the field name containing a specific string ?

l1bertyx
Engager

I am trying to average fields together across multiple columns based on a specific string (A_Field and B_Field)

For Example:

T1A_Field  T1B_Field  T2A_Field  T2B_Field .......T10A_Field  T10B_Field
1. 2            3          2          6                 5           3
2. 3            4          3          5                 3           7

To:

A_Field  B_Field
1. 3        4
2. 3        5.33

I can't seem to wrap my head around how to average the fields together across columns with the condition that the field name contains either A_Field or B_Field. I would type it out individually to get the overall group average, but there are a larger number of fields than what was listed above and it becomes too inefficient. Apologies, as I am still in the learning process with Splunk.

0 Karma
1 Solution

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This is a great case for foreach:

... | foreach A_Field B_Field [eval sum_<<FIELD>> = 0, count_<<FIELD>> = 0]
| foreach  *A_Field [eval sum_A_Field = sum_A_Field + '<<FIELD>>', count_A_Field = count_A_Field + 1]
| foreach  *B_Field [eval sum_B_Field = sum_B_Field + '<<FIELD>>', count_B_Field = count_B_Field + 1]
| foreach A_Field B_Field [eval avg_<<FIELD>> = sum_<<FIELD>> / count_<<FIELD>>]

View solution in original post

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This is a great case for foreach:

... | foreach A_Field B_Field [eval sum_<<FIELD>> = 0, count_<<FIELD>> = 0]
| foreach  *A_Field [eval sum_A_Field = sum_A_Field + '<<FIELD>>', count_A_Field = count_A_Field + 1]
| foreach  *B_Field [eval sum_B_Field = sum_B_Field + '<<FIELD>>', count_B_Field = count_B_Field + 1]
| foreach A_Field B_Field [eval avg_<<FIELD>> = sum_<<FIELD>> / count_<<FIELD>>]
0 Karma

l1bertyx
Engager

This is a neat and clean approach to solve the problem I was having. Much easier to understand this way versus the overly convoluted field extraction I had setup in my search. Thanks again for the help.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...