Splunk Search

How get reults to say N/A while using the "inputlookup" command?

SubtotalAMG
Loves-to-Learn Lots

I'm not a programmer but I am trying to get the display of my graph to depict "No Results" or "N/A" when the Where command can't find the specific name within the csv. Rather what I get is all of the servers listed within the excel. Here is quick example:

This works for me

index=House sourcetype=LivingRoom
[ | inputlookup HouseInventory.csv | where Room="Bathroom" | return host=$X_Furniture ]
| timechart span=5m count by host

But what happens is if a user types "where Room="Bathr00mZ"....see below......I get a list of all the servers listed in my csv which is what I don't want. I rather have it say "No Results" or "N/A"

[ | inputlookup HouseInventory.csv | where Room="Bathr00mZ" | return host=$X_Furniture ]

I've tried this:

[ | inputlookup HouseInventory.csv | where Room="Bathr00mZ" | eval res=if(Room=="Bathroom",X_Furniture,"Null") ]

But this still comes back with the list of all the servers. 

Labels (1)
Tags (4)
0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Use this construct

[ | inputlookup HouseInventory.csv 
  | where Room="Bathroom" 
  | rename X_Furniture as host
  | appendpipe [
    | stats count | where count=0
    ``` Add in what you want the default to be ```
    | eval host="*"
  ]
]

I assume the field in the lookup that corresponds to host is X_Furniture

You just need to let the subsearch return and it will effectively return host=bla

The appendpipe will make host=* if there are no values from the inputlookup - so set that value to be the default you want.

0 Karma

SubtotalAMG
Loves-to-Learn Lots

Still the same results...still displays all of them.

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Exactly how it should work if you set = *

If you want the search to return NO results, you need to give the subsearch something that will make the outer search not find anything, e.g. host=_there_is_no_such_host

in which case, then the outer search (probably) won't find any results, then you get no results found.

If you are in a dashboard, you can then add some code after the search to force a count of 0, e.g.

| appendpipe [
| stats count as NoHost| where NoHost=0
| eval _time=now()
]

but then that won't give you much of a timechart, so then you need to work out what should show instead of a timechart - if you want a simple single value viz, you will have to start playing with having multiple panels, one for a timechart and one for a single value viz, where your tokens decide which one gets shown.

See this for more info

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Viz/PanelreferenceforSimplifiedXML

0 Karma

SubtotalAMG
Loves-to-Learn Lots

No good still

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

So what did you try and what was the result and how do you want your timechart to look in that context?

0 Karma

SubtotalAMG
Loves-to-Learn Lots

I tried this and still it lists the same results. (Everything is still listed), Also "$X_Furniture" is a column in the csv file as well so the "$" is also needed. 

[ | inputlookup HouseInventory.csv 
  | where Room="Bathroom" 
  | rename X_Furniture as host
  | appendpipe [
    | eval host="No such Host"
  ]
]

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If the column is $X_Furniture, then change the rename to

| rename "$X_Furniture" as host

You should be able to see what the subsearch returns by just running it on its own. You can add the 

| format

to the end of the search if you run it standalone, i.e.

| inputlookup HouseInventory.csv 
  | where Room="Bathroom" 
  | rename "$X_Furniture" as host
  | appendpipe [
    | eval host="No such Host"
  ]
| format

and you can see how that acts as a constraint to the main outer search.

You still haven't said how you want your timechart should look like when the Room is not found - are you showing the timechart as a graph visualisation or simply as a table?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer Certification at ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...