Splunk Search

How do you turn this test string into a regular expression

Danielle2018V

Hello

How do you convert the following test string to a regular expression, if the test string contains spaces? Because the string "type" appears several time in the log, to differentiate the instance I need, I need "type" that's followed by a negative amount.

Test string:
"type"=>"fun_bucks", "amount"=>"-$

rex field=_raw type\"=>\"(?[^\"]+)\"\,\ \ \"amount\"=>\"-\$

Example log text
"type"=>"fun_bucks", "amount"=>"-$21.00", "request_id_link"=>{"content"=>nil, "href"=>"https://ebc.cybersource.com/ebc/transactionsearch/TransactionSearchDetailsLoad.do?requestId="}, "status"=>"succeeded", "action"=>"refund", "convert_to_cash_url"=>nil}], "v2_return_service_enabled"=>true, "inventory_service_id"=>"voucher", "order_reversal_url"=>"/order_reversal/refund",

0 Karma
1 Solution

hos_2
Path Finder

Hi Danielle2018V,

You need to define the spaces in your regex with \s, for example:

type\"\=\>\"(?<test>\w+)\"\,\s\"amount\"\=\>\"(?<test2>\S+)\"

This will create 2 fields called test and test2, test will be the name of the account (in this case "fun_bucks") and test2 will be the dollar amount (in this case -$21.00)

Then you can use search or where commands to do the rest of the filtering

View solution in original post

0 Karma

hos_2
Path Finder

Hi Danielle2018V,

You need to define the spaces in your regex with \s, for example:

type\"\=\>\"(?<test>\w+)\"\,\s\"amount\"\=\>\"(?<test2>\S+)\"

This will create 2 fields called test and test2, test will be the name of the account (in this case "fun_bucks") and test2 will be the dollar amount (in this case -$21.00)

Then you can use search or where commands to do the rest of the filtering

0 Karma

hos_2
Path Finder

I forgot to mention that there is a great place to test your code and it has a codex of regex commands to reference.

https://regex101.com/

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...