Splunk Search

How do i use if/case functions using lookup table search?

umithchada
Explorer

Hello,

I have a use case where I have a bunch of email alerts that I need to determine the system name for.

Examples, 

lets say i have the alerts:

1. File system alert on AAA

2. File system alert on server servernameaaaendservername

3. File system alert on server BBB

I have the list of these system names in a lookup table (Around 100 unique names), so adding 100 lines of field_name LIKE "%systemname1%","systemname1" doesn't seem efficient. Is there a way to use the conditional statement with the lookup table to match the statments?

Trying to get the below output by using the system names found in the lookup table

If systemname is found in the lookup table that matches on what is found in the alert, output systemname

Alert Name || System Name

File system alert on AAA || AAA

File system alert on server servernameaaaendservername || AAA
File system alert on server BBB || BBB

Labels (1)
0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Just use the lookup as a lookup - that's what it's intended for

It's a little unclear what exists in the alert and what exists in the lookup based on this statement

If systemname is found in the lookup table that matches on what is found in the alert, output systemname

so I'm assuming you have an Alert Name in your data, so just so

| lookup your_lookup_file.csv "Alert Name" OUTPUT "System Name"

Assuming those are the names of your fields in the data/lookup (Alert Name) and the name of the field in the lookup is "System Name"

0 Karma

umithchada
Explorer

Hello,

You are correct, the alert name is in the data. It is under a single field called "Subject" in a form of a string. 

But the data in the lookup table is like this, with a single  field " System_name",example:

AAA

BBB

CCC

DDD

The main data is has just a single field as well called "Subject" ( each row a string):

File system alert on AAA

File system alert on server serveraaaname

File system alert on  BBB

I just want the output to be like in 2 fields:

Subject || system_name

Fils system alert on AAA || AAA

File system alert on serveraaaname || AAA

File system alert on BBB || BBB

Hopefully this makes sense.

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

OK, so you don't have any correlation in the lookup to match against the event...

So, If you have a field 'Subject' containing the string

"File system alert on ..."

then you can get the system name from that like this

| rex field=Subject "File system alert on (?<system>.*)"

which will work for AAA and BBB, but I am not sure how you would map 'server serveraaaname' to AAA in your example - what is the rule for that mapping?

0 Karma

umithchada
Explorer

So I have various alerts which have the system name somehow embedded in any place.

I am looking for a query which says , " if system name is found anywhere in the alert (upper or lower case) it should output the appropriate"system name" in the "system_name" field.

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If you have logic that can convert serveraaaname to AAA then you can write the SPL to do extract that name and show it as system name. If you want to take any characters between the two words server and name, then it's simply

| rex field=blabla "server(?<systemname>.*)name"
| eval systemname = upper(systemname)

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...