Splunk Search

How can I get the time difference between two events?

yuvrajsharma_13
Explorer

I am looking at logs for asynchronous calls ( sending msg & receiving ack from kafka ) . So we have 2 event , first one is when we receive the message and start processing then send it to Kafka , second one is when we receive response back from kafka. I have unique message ID to track both event.

I want to capture average processing time for all unique ID. In below query I have not added condition for unique ID. in below query I am not getting "Diffrence" value. 

Can you please help !! 

index=web* "Message sent to Kafka" OR "Response received from Kafka"
| stats earlies(_time) as Msg_received, latest(_time) as Response_Kafka
| eval difference=Response_Kafka-Msg_received
| eval difference=strftime(difference,"%d-%m-%Y %H:%M:%S")
| eval Msg_received=strftime(Msg_received,"%d-%m-%Y %H:%M:%S")
| eval Response_Kafka=strftime(Response_Kafka,"%d-%m-%Y %H:%M:%S")

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @yuvrajsharma_13,

for the difference you have to use the tostring option (https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/SCS/current/SearchReference/ConversionFunctions#tostring.28.26...) and not strftime that is used to convert date format, so please try this:

| stats earlies(_time) as Msg_received, latest(_time) as Response_Kafka by Unique_ID
| eval difference=tostring(Response_Kafka-Msg_received,"duration")

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

yuvrajsharma_13
Explorer

Updated Query :

Time difference is coming as "12/31/23 19:00:30:295 "

| stats earlies(_time) as Msg_received, latest(_time) as Response_Kafka by Unique_ID
| eval difference=Response_Kafka-Msg_received
| eval difference=strftime(difference,"%d-%m-%Y %H:%M:%S")

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @yuvrajsharma_13,

for the difference you have to use the tostring option (https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/SCS/current/SearchReference/ConversionFunctions#tostring.28.26...) and not strftime that is used to convert date format, so please try this:

| eval difference=tostring(Response_Kafka-Msg_received,"duration")

Ciao.

Giuseppe

yuvrajsharma_13
Explorer

@gcusello , that helped, however now I have to change my query as we are not receiving response for few Unique_ID so difference is showing as 0 seconds.

I am using subsearch for this, so it should capture events for which we received response .  Subsearch itself is not returning any results. 

After this I need to work on time difference.

index=web* "Message sent to Kafka" | where UNIQUE_ID IN ( [ search index=web* "Response received from Kafka" | fields UNIQUE_ID ]) | table UNIQUE_ID, _time

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @yuvrajsharma_13,

as I said, if the issue is that the difference is showed as a date, you can use the tostring option to show in hours, minutes and seconds.

for the missing UNIQUE_ID, you found the solution.

let me know if I can help you more, or, please, accept one answer for the other people of Community.

Ciao and happy splunking

Giuseppe

P.S.: Karma Points are appreciated 😉

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Get the T-shirt to Prove You Survived Splunk University Bootcamp

As if Splunk University, in Las Vegas, in-person, with three days of bootcamps and labs weren’t enough, now ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...