Splunk Search

Help with extracting specific symbols/text from raw log

DanAlexander
Communicator

Hi All,

Can anyone help me create a regex to extract the bolded parts from the following _raw log, please?

some text - [action:"Accept"; some text ; origin:"10.111.10.111"; some text]"; dst:"192.168.11.01"; some text684"; layer_name:"Some text"; layer_nsome text"; src:"192.168.81.62"]

Thank you in advance!

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

enzomialich
Path Finder

Hey @DanAlexander , try this:

| rex field=_raw "action:"(?<Action>.*)";"

| rex field=_raw "origin:"(?<Origin>\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3})""

| rex field=_raw "dst:"(?<Dest>\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3})""

| rex field=_raw "layer_name:"(?<Text>\w+)"" ***i'm assuming some text doesnt contain whitespaces, if does, I would try to test with [\s\S]+)";<add data pattern here so it limits the expression

| rex field=_raw "src:"(?<Source>\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3})""

I tested on regxr and seems to be working and extracting the fields as it should.

input: action:"(?<Action>\w+)"|origin:"(?<Origin>\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3})"|layer_name:"(?<Text>\w+)"|dst:"(?<dest>\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3})"|src:"(?<Source>\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3})"

test: (your log example)

notes:

*i can't remember if we are able to "bundle" all of these rex extractions into a single command, try to separate quoted expressions using a comma

*for text data, the best way would be using a specific number of characters such as \w{n,m} (a number of characters that could be between n and m. 

View solution in original post

yeahnah
Motivator

Hi @DanAlexander 

I'd suggest using the extract command instead on rex as there is a regular pattern for the key value pairs.  Here's a run anywhere example...

index=dummy
| append [| makeresults | eval _raw="some text - [action:\"Accept\"; some text ; origin:\"10.111.10.111\"; some text]; dst:\"192.168.11.01\"; some text684\"; layer_name:\"Some text\"; layer_nsome text\"; src:\"192.168.81.62\"]" ]
| extract pairdelim="; ]" kvdelim=":"
| table _raw action origin dst src

Hope that helps

0 Karma

yeahnah
Motivator

I see I missed layer_name, which extract fails to pull, probably due to the whitespace.  Here's a combination of extract and rex to get the desired results...

index=dummy
| append [| makeresults | eval _raw="some text - [action:\"Accept\"; some text ; origin:\"10.111.10.111\"; some text]; dst:\"192.168.11.01\"; some text684\"; layer_name:\"Some text\"; layer_nsome text\"; src:\"192.168.81.62\"]" ]
| extract pairdelim="; ]" kvdelim=":"
| rex "layer_name:\"(?<layer_name>[^\"]+)"
| table _raw action origin dst layer_name src

DanAlexander
Communicator

@yeahnah thank you very much for trying to help. Your solution for sure works, but I am not advanced to implement it.

Your help much appreciated!

0 Karma

enzomialich
Path Finder

Hey @DanAlexander , try this:

| rex field=_raw "action:"(?<Action>.*)";"

| rex field=_raw "origin:"(?<Origin>\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3})""

| rex field=_raw "dst:"(?<Dest>\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3})""

| rex field=_raw "layer_name:"(?<Text>\w+)"" ***i'm assuming some text doesnt contain whitespaces, if does, I would try to test with [\s\S]+)";<add data pattern here so it limits the expression

| rex field=_raw "src:"(?<Source>\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3})""

I tested on regxr and seems to be working and extracting the fields as it should.

input: action:"(?<Action>\w+)"|origin:"(?<Origin>\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3})"|layer_name:"(?<Text>\w+)"|dst:"(?<dest>\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3})"|src:"(?<Source>\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3})"

test: (your log example)

notes:

*i can't remember if we are able to "bundle" all of these rex extractions into a single command, try to separate quoted expressions using a comma

*for text data, the best way would be using a specific number of characters such as \w{n,m} (a number of characters that could be between n and m. 

DanAlexander
Communicator

@enzomialich thanks for the quick response. Yes, it all works. thank you very much!

I needed a single reg expression to extract the parts of the raw log as I want to discard all the rest

Kudos to you Sir!  

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...

Updated Data Management and AWS GDI Inventory in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to Data Management and Infrastructure Inventory for AWS. The Data Management page, ...

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...