Splunk Search

Get count of how how many of a field has a true value.

alakhotia
Explorer

I have a response that looks like this:

{"meta":{"code":400},"flag1":false,"flag2":false,"flag3":true}

There are more than 3 flags, but this is an example.

Assuming that there is only one that is true in each response, I want to get a count of which flag is true the most times, in descending order.

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You should not use foreach *.  tag::event is a meta field and foreach will not handle those.  It is quite obvious that your data also contain other irrelevant fields.  If you know those tag names, enumerate it. (Read the document.)

| foreach flag1 flag2 flag3 ... flagX
    [eval trueflag = mvappend(trueflag, if(<<FIELD>> == "true", "<<FIELD>>", null()))]
| stats count by trueflag

Alternatively, you probably do not care about other fields.  Remove them so foreach will not be bombed.

| fields loggingObject.responseJson
| spath input=loggingObject.responseJson
| foreach *
    [eval trueflag = mvappend(trueflag, if(<<FIELD>> == "true", "<<FIELD>>", null()))]

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Something like

| foreach flag*

The wildcard expression will depend on actual field names. (Worst comes you iterate over non-flag fields; alternatively, you enumerate all possible flags.) See foreach.

Tags (2)
0 Karma

alakhotia
Explorer

Thanks.  My response object is extracted to responseJson.

How do I iterate over any possible field name in responseJson?  What am I doing wrong below?

| eval responseJson='loggingObject.responseJson'
| foreach *

0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Do you mean to say that Splunk gives you a field named 'loggingObject.responseJson' with that JSON object as value?  In that case, you need to first extract from JSON with spath. (A newer alternative is fromjson.)

| foreach flag*

Here is an emulation you can play with and compare with real data

| makeresults
| fields - _time
| eval loggingObject.responseJson = "{\"meta\":{\"code\":400},\"flag1\":false,\"flag2\":false,\"flag3\":true}"
``` data emulation above ```

Tags (1)
0 Karma

alakhotia
Explorer

Thanks.

When I hardcode data like you've done, and I add escape backslash quotes, it works.

| makeresults
| fields - _time

| eval loggingObject.responseJson = "{\"meta\":{\"code\":400},\"flag1\":false,\"flag2\":false,\"flag3\":true,\"flag3status\":\"3\",\"flag4\":false,\"flag5\":false,\"flag6\":false,\"flag7\":false, \"flag7reason\":\"xyz\"}"
| foreach *

When I use my real data results, I do get results, but also some splunk errors:

| spath input=responseJson
| foreach *

Errors:

[shsplnkprnap008,shsplnkprnap009,shsplnkprnap010,shsplnkprnap011,shsplnkprnap012,shsplnkprnap013] Failed to parse templatized search for field 'tag::eventtype'
[shsplnkprnap008,shsplnkprnap009,shsplnkprnap011,shsplnkprnap012,shsplnkprnap013] Failed to parse templatized search for field 'loggingObject.methodParams{}.className'
[shsplnkprnap008,shsplnkprnap009,shsplnkprnap011,shsplnkprnap012,shsplnkprnap013] Failed to parse templatized search for field 'loggingObject.methodParams{}.value'
[shsplnkprnap008,shsplnkprnap009,shsplnkprnap012,shsplnkprnap013] Failed to parse templatized search for field 'loggingObject.requestHeaders.user-agent'
[shsplnkprnap008,shsplnkprnap009,shsplnkprnap012,shsplnkprnap013] Failed to parse templatized search for field 'loggingObject.requestHeaders.x-forwarded-for'
[shsplnkprnap008,shsplnkprnap009,shsplnkprnap013] Failed to parse templatized search for field 'Device-ID'
[shsplnkprnap008,shsplnkprnap009,shsplnkprnap013] Failed to parse templatized search for field 'valid-beacon-dept-count'
[shsplnkprnap009] Failed to parse templatized search for field 'steps{}'

I am able to do something like this without splunk errors;

| stats count by responseJson
0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You should not use foreach *.  tag::event is a meta field and foreach will not handle those.  It is quite obvious that your data also contain other irrelevant fields.  If you know those tag names, enumerate it. (Read the document.)

| foreach flag1 flag2 flag3 ... flagX

Alternatively, you probably do not care about other fields.  Remove them so foreach will not be bombed.

| fields loggingObject.responseJson
| foreach *
Tags (1)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | Forward, I’m heavy; backward, I’m not. What am I?

April 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

A Guide To Cloud Migration Success

As enterprises’ rapid expansion to the cloud continues, IT leaders are continuously looking for ways to focus ...

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...