Given transit data like:

2019-03-19 19:00:32 GMT vehicle_id="58" stop_direction=Inbound
2019-03-19 19:05:45 GMT vehicle_id="57" stop_direction=Outbound
2019-03-19 19:10:45 GMT vehicle_id="59" stop_direction=Outbound
2019-03-19 19:21:32 GMT vehicle_id="58" stop_direction=Inbound
2019-03-19 19:25:06 GMT vehicle_id="57" stop_direction=Outbound
2019-03-19 19:37:43 GMT vehicle_id="58" stop_direction=Outbound
2019-03-19 19:41:02 GMT vehicle_id="59" stop_direction=Inbound

A "trip" is starting at one end of the line and going to the other end. I want to calculate the duration of every trip. You know when a trip ends because the a particular vehicle's stop_direction changes either from "Inbound" to "Outbound" or vice versa.

For example, when vehicle 58 changes from "Inbound" (line 4) to "Outbound" (line 6), then it had a "trip" starting from the oldest contiguous "Inbound" (line 1) to the last "Inbound" (line 4) before changing to "Outbound" (line 6). Hence, the duration would conceptually be time_of_event(4) - time_of_event(1).

Explained another way: for a given vehicle, if you were to plot its stop direction (where I is "Inbound" and O is "Outbound"), then:

IIII OOOOO III OOO IIIIIIII
^^^^ ^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^
T1   T2    T3  T4  T5

I.e., a run of the same stop direction constitutes a "trip." When the direction changes, it's the next trip.

I want to calculate the duration of every trip and chart it such that the X-axis is the trip and the Y-axis is the duration of that trip.

0 Karma

nickhills
Ultra Champion

You could look at the transaction command to help you here:
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.2.4/SearchReference/Transaction

..your search..|transaction vehicle_id startswith=Outbound endswith=Inbound|transaction vehicle_id startswith=Inbound endswith=Outbound|eval stops=eventcount, duration=round(duration/1000,0)|table vehicle_id stops duration

Duration will be in seconds

If my comment helps, please give it a thumbs up!
0 Karma

plucas_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Shouldn't that be: duration=duration/60?

I think my search should be: my_search | streamstats window=2 global=f earliest(_time) as start latest(_time) as end earliest(stop_direction) as dir1 latest(stop_direction) as dir2 by vehicle_id | transaction vehicle_id endswith=eval(dir1!=dir2) | eval duration=duration/60.

But I want to chart the "trip" (or the "transaction ID") by the duration. For each transaction, I'd need a monotonically increasing integer. How can I get that?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Archived Metrics Now Available for APAC and EMEA realms

We’re excited to announce the launch of Archived Metrics in Splunk Infrastructure Monitoring for our customers ...

Detecting Remote Code Executions With the Splunk Threat Research Team

WATCH NOWRemote code execution (RCE) vulnerabilities pose a significant risk to organizations. If exploited, ...

Enter the Dashboard Challenge and Watch the .conf24 Global Broadcast!

The Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge is still happening, and it's not too late to enter for the week of ...