Splunk Search

Compare entire lookup table to another

splunk219783
Path Finder

I thought this would be easy but i'm struggling.  I have a CSV of firewall rules from yesterday, and a CSV of Firewall rules from today.  They're being ingested into splunk but i figured the easiest way to compare the two would be to make them lookup tables.  But I can't figure how to compare ALL values?  This is to audit for any changes.   The Data is kind of like this:

Yesterdays Rules:

NameActionSrcIpDestIpPort
WebServerAllow192.168.1.2192.168.0.380
ApplicationDeny192.168.1.10192.168.0.111020
OutboundAllow192.168.0.0/24*80

Todays Rules

NameActionSrcIpDestIpPort 
WebServerAllow192.168.1.2192.168.0.3,192.168.0.480 
ApplicationDeny192.168.1.10192.168.0.111020 
OutboundAllow192.168.0.0/24*80 

In the example the Webserver can now access an additional server.  But in reality any value could change and I need to alert on it. I basically just want to do a diff.  A little surprised its difficult to do in splunk.

Labels (1)
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @splunk219783,

you have to use stats, please try something like this:

| inputlookup yesterday_rules.csv
| eval lookup_name="yesterday_rules.csv"
| append [ | | inputlookup today_rules.csv | eval lookup_name="today_rules.csv" ]
| stats 
   dc(lookup_name) AS lookup_name_count 
   values(lookup_name) AS lookup_name
   BY Name Action SrcIp DestIp Port
| where lookup_name_count=1
| table Name Action SrcIp DestIp Port lookup_name

in this way you have all the differences.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Database Performance Sidebar Panel Now on APM Database Query Performance & Service ...

We’ve streamlined the troubleshooting experience for database-related service issues by adding a database ...

IM Landing Page Filter - Now Available

We’ve added the capability for you to filter across the summary details on the main Infrastructure Monitoring ...

Dynamic Links from Alerts to IM Navigators - New in Observability Cloud

Splunk continues to improve the troubleshooting experience in Observability Cloud with this latest enhancement ...