Splunk Search

BotS - Error in 'lookup' command: Could not find all of the specified destination fields in the lookup table

suspense
Explorer

Hi,

I am doing Boss of the SOC v1 and I stuck on question, where I need to use lookup. I imported .csv file ad here are my commands:

index=botsv1 dest=192.168.250.70 src="23.22.63.114" http_method=POST
| rex field=form_data "passwd=(?<passwd>[a-zA-Z]{6})"
| lookup coldplay.csv Song as passwd OUTPUTNEW song

Error I get:

Error in 'lookup' command: Could not find all of the specified destination fields in the lookup table.

I tried to run it and I received the same error.

Do you know how can I solve it? 
Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

That's because your coldplay.csv file doesn't contain a field named song.  OUTPUT or OUTPUTNEW can only take what is found in the lookup.  If your lookup contains a field name poem and you want to rename it song, you have to reference poem first, like

| lookup coldplay.csv Song AS passwd OUTPUTNEW poem AS song

View solution in original post

0 Karma

suspense
Explorer

This is how my .csv looks like. How can I find which fields I have? I thought name of the column is considered a field? 

cold.PNG

0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yes, the field name is Song, not song.  Also, if the lookup only contains one field, what do you expect to look up?  The purpose of a lookup is to associate a known field value in search result to one or more field values that are only known in the lookup.

0 Karma

suspense
Explorer

I am trying to do BotS and answer on question:

One of the passwords in the brute force attack is James Brodsky’s favorite Coldplay song. Which six character song is it?

Basically I am trying to import list of Coldplay songs in .csv and compare it with password used for brute force attack. 

Here is the answer how the query should look like (probably?):

https://www.aldeid.com/wiki/TryHackMe-BP-Splunk/Advanced-Persitent-Threat##7_-_One_of_the_passwords_... 

index=botsv1 sourcetype=stream:http form_data=*username*passwd*
| rex field=form_data "passwd=(?<userpassword>\w+)"
| eval lenpword=len(userpassword)
| search lenpword=6
| eval password=lower(userpassword)
| lookup coldplay.csv song as password OUTPUTNEW song
| search song=*
| table song

0 Karma

suspense
Explorer

BTW. If you look at this website -theirs syntax with lookup and list that they attached in a link - this syntax just cannot work. I tested in my lab and it does not work. But you helped me to understand that last 'song' must be 'Song' 🙂 Thank you.

0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

That's because your coldplay.csv file doesn't contain a field named song.  OUTPUT or OUTPUTNEW can only take what is found in the lookup.  If your lookup contains a field name poem and you want to rename it song, you have to reference poem first, like

| lookup coldplay.csv Song AS passwd OUTPUTNEW poem AS song
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Stay Connected: Your Guide to May Tech Talks, Office Hours, and Webinars!

Take a look below to explore our upcoming Community Office Hours, Tech Talks, and Webinars this month. This ...

They're back! Join the SplunkTrust and MVP at .conf24

With our highly anticipated annual conference, .conf, comes the fez-wearers you can trust! The SplunkTrust, as ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had two releases of new security content via the Enterprise ...