Splunk Search

Add a column that is the difference of the first two columns.

Username1
Path Finder

So suppose that everyday Splunk takes in a report that houses 9 different fields, one of which is called 'status'. Status has the option of being 'New', 'Closed', or 'Open'. I'm trying to show a time-chart that shows the count per day of reports that have 'Closed' and 'New' status , along with the difference of the two (everyday). So a file with report_date '2020-07-23' is ingested in Splunk and shows we had 5 'New' reports, 7 'Closed' Reports, so the difference should be 2 for that day. How do I go about doing this in my search query?

index=blah... | timechart count(report_date) by status| fields - OPEN

This is where I'm stuck, how do I get the difference of only NEW and CLOSED included into my graph. Thanks in advance

Labels (5)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This should do it.

index=blah... | timechart count(report_date) by status
| fields - OPEN
| eval diff=abs(New - Closed)
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This should do it.

index=blah... | timechart count(report_date) by status
| fields - OPEN
| eval diff=abs(New - Closed)
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

Username1
Path Finder

That worked perfectly. Thank you!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Combine Multiline Logs into a Single Event with SOCK - a Guide for Advanced Users

This article is the continuation of the “Combine multiline logs into a single event with SOCK - a step-by-step ...

Everything Community at .conf24!

You may have seen mention of the .conf Community Zone 'round these parts and found yourself wondering what ...

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...