Splunk Search

ASA Firewall events IP extract

evallja
Path Finder

Hello everyone,

I need to extract the first IP from ASA events, after the first IP sometimes there are 3 other IPs, sometimes 2, and sometimes 1 IP, but I need only the first one without depending on how many IPs are after the first.

2023-07-13T11:24:25+02:00 FirASA : %ASA-6-302013: Built inbound TCP connection 2907550162 for dmzIB:192.168.7.7/49446 (192.168.7.7/49446) to inside:10.100.40.4/8080 (10.100.40.4/8080)

Thank you.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

Simple_Search
Path Finder

Try adding the following to establish the boundary of the IP and search past the ASA message. This will get the first available IP address. If this works for you please be sure to grant some karma!

| rex field=_raw "ASA\-\d\-\d+\:.+?(\b(?<ipaddress>\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}))"

View solution in original post

Simple_Search
Path Finder

Hello!

The following regex will start at the beginning of the event and pull the first IP address it sees. I have provided a screen capture of an example event, hope this helps!

| rex field=_raw "(?<ipaddress>\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3})"

evallja
Path Finder

Hello,

The script above is very helpful, but I just need to add one more criterion:
It should recognize the first IP that comes after the string "%ASA" because sometimes it recognizes the IP of the firewall which is the first one in the event and is always before the string "%ASA".

Thank you.

0 Karma

Simple_Search
Path Finder

Try adding the following to establish the boundary of the IP and search past the ASA message. This will get the first available IP address. If this works for you please be sure to grant some karma!

| rex field=_raw "ASA\-\d\-\d+\:.+?(\b(?<ipaddress>\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}))"

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Combine Multiline Logs into a Single Event with SOCK - a Guide for Advanced Users

This article is the continuation of the “Combine multiline logs into a single event with SOCK - a step-by-step ...

Everything Community at .conf24!

You may have seen mention of the .conf Community Zone 'round these parts and found yourself wondering what ...

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...