Splunk Enterprise

How to configure automatic hostname assignment using a lookup table?

ricotries
Communicator

I have a syslog server receiving data from devices outside of my network and these are transmitted to my Splunk Indexer using a Universal Forwarder. All my configuration to get the data into the indexer is working perfectly fine. I have configuration in inputs.conf in the forwarder to assign the host field from host_segment since the syslog server stores logs in directories named after the source IP address of the message. How can I then change the host field at index-time using a lookup table so the events are stored with the hostname and not the IP address?

For example, I have a .csv file that looks like this:

host ip 
host1 10.10.1.1
host2 10.10.1.2

So I can then perform the following search:

index=idx host=host1

The key point is, I want to store the event with the host field set to the hostname, I don't want to do an automatic search-time lookup.

Labels (1)
0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

Unfortunately you could use lookup tables only in search not indexing time.
If you want convert IP -> host name, then you probably need to do scripted input or first change that directory / file name to host name before ingesting that data. 

Probably there are some 3td party tools (like cribil?) which can do it?

r. Ismo

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Combine Multiline Logs into a Single Event with SOCK - a Guide for Advanced Users

This article is the continuation of the “Combine multiline logs into a single event with SOCK - a step-by-step ...

Everything Community at .conf24!

You may have seen mention of the .conf Community Zone 'round these parts and found yourself wondering what ...

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...