Splunk Enterprise

FQDN for windows servers in deployment server GUI

AJ2024

I am trying to change the host name from short name to FQDN in the deployment server gui for windows servers.I have the input.conf and server.conf already set as $decideOnStartup and fullyqualifiedname respectively in the local app folder.The hostname doesn't change in the GUI .The search logs shows FQDN for windows servers after setting up the input and server conf as above. But the hostname in GUI remains the same as shortname. How do I change it?

Labels (3)
0 Karma

AJ2024

I had restarted the deployment server already. But the hostname remains the same as short name in the GUI.

0 Karma

deepakc
Builder

I dont have Windows server to test this out, so dont know if this works, but this its used for customizing the client behaviour, the file is deploymentclient.conf  and normally you deploy this under a dedicated app and install onto the target server.

Example
/my_app/local/deploymentclient.conf

OR

$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local/deploymentclient.conf

Config
[deployment-client]
clientName = $FQDN

(So you may be able to use a Powershell script after install of the UF and try inject that config into clientName section into the file, test on one server manually first and see, if it works)

To get the FQDN via powershell

Poweshell to get FQDN Name
$FQDN = "$env:COMPUTERNAME.$env:USERDNSDOMAIN"
Write-Output $FQDN

0 Karma

AJ2024

I tried below script in my windows test vm and restarted the splunk. Hostname still shows as the short name in Splunk GUI. The search logs shows the fqdn though .

On the deployment server , in the forwarder management client view, how is the hostname column populated? Or where is the hostname column populated from? I need the hostname in the forwarder management client view to show the fqdn of the windows endpoints.

0 Karma

deepakc
Builder

I'm starting to think if the Windows HOST has the NetBIOS name then this is what you end up with in Deployment server HOST column, unless during install it doesn’t have the FQDN name (+DNS).

I  know your searches are coming up with FQDN, so I'm stumped as to the hosts  column part not showing FQDN!

This setting will change from the GUID setting to the FQDN Names Client Name, in Deployment Server And allow Filter on FQDN

deploymentclient.conf

[deployment-client]

clientName = FQDN

This setting will change the instance name in Deployment Server

server.conf

serverName = FQDN

0 Karma

deepakc
Builder

I would try to reboot the deployment server – It could be cache issue.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...