Splunk Enterprise Security

How do I compare two indexes with the same value and a different field name?

rockzers
Path Finder

i installed universal forwarder 4 machine this event log is getting my pc

i want to compare my event log and universal forwarder ip address as where i receive so i use to lookup index="_internal" to get hostname and compare my event log host

event log index

index=*  EventCode=4624

the check index of the universal forwarder is

index=_internal

query:

index=_internal fwdType=uf | table hostname sourceHost | rename hostname as uf_username sourceHost as uf_hostname | join sourceHost [search index=* EventCode=4624 Source_Network_Address=* Account_Name=Administrator Account_Domain=* | table Source_Network_Address Account_Name host]

how to compare this and if the host name matches both indexes and get the ip address from index=_internal fwdType=uf sourceHost and  index=*  Source_Network_Address

Labels (3)
Tags (3)
0 Karma

maciep
Champion

I believe if you want to use join, then the field names need to be the same.  So since you rename sourceHost to uf_hostname, then joining on sourceHost won't work.  You would need to join on uf_hostname instead and then also rename the "join" field in the second search to also be called uf_hostname.

That said, if I understand what you're trying to do (which i may not) and you have dns available, then you could try using a dns lookup instead....so just lookup the ip that is in the Source_Network_Address to get the hostname directly?  No need to join to internal logs then...

index=* EventCode=4624
| lookup dnslookup clientip AS Source_Network_Address OUTPUT clienthost AS uf_hostname_or_whatever

Or something to that effect. 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Get the T-shirt to Prove You Survived Splunk University Bootcamp

As if Splunk University, in Las Vegas, in-person, with three days of bootcamps and labs weren’t enough, now ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...