Splunk Enterprise Security

Hi All, I need to collect logs from windows servers in the environment. We have Splunk ES on cloud. What are the options available

singhvishakha29
Engager

We need to decide on the best and easy option to collect all kinds of windows event logs

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The answer is the same for non-cloud users and those who don't have ES. Install a universal forwarder on each Windows server then enable the inputs for the desired logs.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

singhvishakha29
Engager

installing a universal forwarder on each windows doesn't seem feasible here. Can we use WMI instead. If yes, i suppose there are limitations on the types of logs that can be collected (no registry logs, AD logs etc). Please correct me if I am wrong

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yes, WMI is an option, but not a good one. WMI will affect the target server's performance more than a forwarder will.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...