Splunk Dev

Is there a way for my app to run a Python function on server start?

matutter4
Explorer

I want Splunk to run my script when the server starts & stops. Of course I can write a custom shell script to launch Splunk & do that by hand, but is there a way to have my App run on startup?

0 Karma

thejeffreystone
Path Finder

You could create a modular input using the python SDK. It is not really hard. Here is a basic example: https://github.com/kospol/splunk_simplePythonModularInput

Then your script can just be an app inside splunk.

0 Karma

matutter4
Explorer

Thanks, this was helpful. But really what I'm looking for is way to execute something from an "appserver" app. I have a bunch of views which need to be changed by a python script when I do a splunk restartss

0 Karma

thejeffreystone
Path Finder

If you are on *nix, then you might be able to edit /etc/init.d/splunk

I suspect if you run 'splunk enable boot-start' you will overwrite your changes though. But in there you could add your script to the splunk_start(), and splunk_restart()

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Combine Multiline Logs into a Single Event with SOCK - a Guide for Advanced Users

This article is the continuation of the “Combine multiline logs into a single event with SOCK - a step-by-step ...

Everything Community at .conf24!

You may have seen mention of the .conf Community Zone 'round these parts and found yourself wondering what ...

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...