Splunk Dev

Archiving frozen data to network drive

sudhir7
Explorer

I am trying to archive data to the network drive, I have following stanza in my indexes.conf file.

[indexName]
frozenTimePeriodInSecs = 31622400
coldToFrozenDir = \\netwotkDrive\splunk\indexName\frozendb

This setting is not working for me.
Has anyone else faced a similar situation? Are there any configurational settings I am missing?

suamme1
Engager

I wasn't able to get this to work directly to a network folder as you posted. If you are still working on it, I ended up configuring a folder on each indexer that is a NTFS junction to a remote file share. This way, the splunk service writes as if it is a local file and NTFS takes care of the rest. I'm not sure if it's a supported solution, but my low-volume cluster has been running like this for several years with no apparent issues.

One thing to note with an indexer cluster is to point the junction to a different folder within the share for each machine to avoid naming collisions (IndexerA's junction should point to \server\share\indexerA and IndexerB's to \server\share\indexerB or some similar scheme).

0 Karma

dkeck
Influencer

Hi,

did you restart after changing this?

0 Karma

sudhir7
Explorer

@dkeck Yes.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...