Splunk Cloud Platform

Issue with logs forwarding from HF to Splunk Cloud

SplunkExplorer
Communicator

Hi Splunkers, I have an issue with a log forwarding from an HF to Splunk Cloud and I need a suggestion about troubleshooting.

In this environment, some firewalls has been set to send data to an HF. Then, data goes to a Splunk Cloud. So, the global flow is:

Firewall's ecosystem -> HF -> Splunk Cloud

On HF, a network TCP input has been configured and it works fine: all firewall added until now send correctly data to Cloud. Yesterday, firewall admin has configured a new one to send data to Splunk, but I cannot see logs on our env.

So, first of all, I asked to Network Admin a check about log forwarding configuration and all has been done properly.
Then, I checked if logs are coming from Firewall to HF; a simple tcpdump on configured port show no reset or other suspicious flags. All packe captured has [P] and [.] flag, with ack. So, data arrives where they are supposed to be collected.
So, I checked _internal logs, based on firewall IP; no error are shown by this search. I got logs from metrics.log and license.log (mainy from metrics), but no error message are returned.

By the way, when I query configured index and sourcetype (that collect properly logs from other firewalls), I cannot see the new one. I used both IP and hostname of firewall device, but no logs are returned. I thought: it could be possible that data arrive to HF but, then, they don't go to Cloud? But in such a case, I presume some error logs should spawn. And supposing my assumption is correct, I could I check it?

Labels (2)
0 Karma

Richfez
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It sounds like you've done pretty good basic troubleshooting already and confirmed that the data *should* be coming in.

So it very well may be, but the reason you can't find it is because the time on the device is off?

Maybe it's a week or a day behind, or even worse it's set to next month.  You *could* try searching for its IP address over all time just to see if this is the case.  Maybe it's just that its timezone is mis- or unspecified, and it's showing up always from 4 hours ago so all searches running in timeframes closer to now than 4 hours ago are just missing it.  (E.g. "now" ends up being squirreled away in Splunk as X hours ago, so "last 4 hours" never shows it).

That's my guess, give that a think and a try and see what you find.

Happy Splunking,

Rich

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer at Splunk .conf24 ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...