Security

how to configure SSL on Windows

abhi_2985
Observer

i have a file with CRT extension from the third party. I am trying to convert the file into PEM but unable to get it done. there were various steps we performed but unable to get it converted. Please suggest.

Labels (1)
0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Ok. Back up a little.

You have a file. It's supposed to be a certificate (possibly with a certificate chain from trusted rootCA). How did you get it? Did you send someone a CSR to obtain a cert? Did you just get a cert because you mailed/called/faxed/whatever someone and told them "hey, we need a cert"? And the most important question here is - do you have a private key corresponding to that cert?

0 Karma

kiran_panchavat
Contributor

@abhi_2985 

The openssl commands needed for the conversion are straightforward to use.
Start by opening your terminal and navigating to the directory with your CRT file. Here’s how to convert .crt to .pem:

openssl x509 -in certificate.crt -out certificate.pem -outform PEM 

Replace ‘certificate.crt’ with your .crt file name and ‘certificate.pem’ with your desired .pem file name.
This command will convert your .crt to .pem, providing you with a new file in .pem format.

0 Karma

abhi_2985
Observer

Thanks for the information. I tried all the possible ways; SSL is not getting configured. Opened another case with Splunk, they are looking. even if we are trying to configure it from scratch as per the documentation, its not working. Splunk has asked for the diag file, and we have shared it to them but no response on it yet.

0 Karma

marnall
Builder

I assume you have already tried these or similar openssl commands?

openssl x509 -in certname.crt -out certname.pem -outform PEM

openssl x509 -inform DER -in certname.crt -out certname.pem -text

Could you also try renaming the .crt directly to .pem? You might be lucky and it will already be in the PEM format.

0 Karma

abhi_2985
Observer

I tried changing it but didnt worked. Somehow i managed to receive the PEM file but when applying the Certificate, its not working. any help on providing steps to configure will be much appreciated.

0 Karma

marnall
Builder

Are you trying to configure the SSL certificate for Splunk web, such that accessing Splunk through HTTPS will use your cert? If so, how do the SSL stanzas look on your server.conf and/or web.conf?

0 Karma

abhi_2985
Observer

server.conf -

--> enableSplunkdSSL = true

--> sslRootCAPath = path of root.pem file

--> serverCert = path of server.pem file

--> sslPassword = <mypassword>

--> sslVersions = *,-ssl2

web.conf - 

--> sslVersions = *,-ssl2

--> sslPassword = <mypassword>

0 Karma

abhi_2985
Observer

already tried, it's not working. i reinstalled the whole Splunk once again just to make sure if I am doing anything wrong, but nothing worked.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Get the T-shirt to Prove You Survived Splunk University Bootcamp

As if Splunk University, in Las Vegas, in-person, with three days of bootcamps and labs weren’t enough, now ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...