Monitoring Splunk

Why is the Windows Event Log indexing slow?

spiced

I indexed about 1GB of Windows Event Logs for a forensic analysis. I added the data by monitoring the folder where the Event Log files are located. The indexing took about 18 hours to complete. The load of server that I used for processing is low. I do not understand why processing 1GB of event logs takes so much time, I would expect it to take about 30 Minutes. Is there a way I can speed this process up? How can I find out what the bottlenech of the processing is? How do I find out when the processing is finished. I refreshed the search from time to time until I no additional events showed up?

Labels (1)
0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

You probably have the default maxKBps which I think is 1024. Set this to 0 in limits.conf on your forwarders.

0 Karma

spiced

I only have an indexer, there is no forwarder. On the indexer maxKBps is already set to 0 so it must be something else.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Database Performance Sidebar Panel Now on APM Database Query Performance & Service ...

We’ve streamlined the troubleshooting experience for database-related service issues by adding a database ...

IM Landing Page Filter - Now Available

We’ve added the capability for you to filter across the summary details on the main Infrastructure Monitoring ...

Dynamic Links from Alerts to IM Navigators - New in Observability Cloud

Splunk continues to improve the troubleshooting experience in Observability Cloud with this latest enhancement ...