Knowledge Management

User Workflow in Splunk

chrisnewmanuk

Im hoping someone can help me out here? Apologies if I break any community rules - first post here!

Trying to create a workflow (not workflow actions) that provides the user a table of results (from a KV store) that are currently "uncategorised".
The user needs to categorise each line item in the table of results.
There are numerous categories that can be selected and these categories are held in another KV store.

In a non splunk world, this is really simple to solve - a table filled with results that also has a dropdown with a list of categories and a submit button to send the form back to the server.

Im not keen to use sideview as advanced xml is being deprecated - this leaves me with really horrible javascript and spending months figuring out splunk under the hood.

I know this type of thing can be done as its in Stream App (checkboxes on the stream config with a save at the top - the code is really quite busy and there's alot of it) and in Splunk ES notable events. I dont want all of that complexity or to reverse engineer it if I can help it!

The end solution Im looking to build needs to be as easy as possible for the user - e.g. not editing grids by typing in categories etc.

Does anyone have some good samples they would be willing to share?

Thanks

Chris

Tags (1)
0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

You could do the same as what you wiould do in a non-splunk world. Create a dashbaord/form with a dropdown list of categories and a table filled with results. As the user selects value(s) in the dropdown/multiselect, the table get filtered results. No scripting requred. Here is some useful/relevant reading

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.0/Viz/Buildandeditforms
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Viz/tokens

0 Karma

chrisnewmanuk

Thanks for the suggestion. I think what you've suggested is good for where categories have already been set in a KV store - however, the data would not yet have a category in the store - its adding this item to the store specifically through a dropdown against an individual row line.

I would see the final result being a single table of n columns where the n+1 column contains a dropdown listing the categories and when it is changed, the KV store updates to reflect the change.

I can get all of the functionality I need behaving - its just this last link - the user updating the table of results that updates the store.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...

Updated Data Management and AWS GDI Inventory in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to Data Management and Infrastructure Inventory for AWS. The Data Management page, ...