Knowledge Management

Slow indexer/receiver detection capability

hrawat_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

9.1.3/9.2.1 onwards slow indexer/receiver detection capability is fully functional now (SPL-248188, SPL-248140).

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/9.2.1/ReleaseNotes/Fixedissues
You can enable it on forwarding side in outputs.conf

maxSendQSize = <integer>
* The size of the tcpout client send buffer, in bytes.
  If tcpout client(indexer/receiver connection) send buffer is full,
  a new indexer is randomly selected from the list of indexers provided
  in the server setting of the target group stanza.
* This setting allows forwarder to switch to new indexer/receiver if current
  indexer/receiver is slow.
* A non-zero value means that max send buffer size is set.
* 0 means no limit on max send buffer size.
* Default: 0

Additionally 9.1.3/9.2.1 and above will correctly log target ipaddress causing tcpout blocking.

WARN AutoLoadBalancedConnectionStrategy [xxxx TcpOutEloop] - Current dest host connection nn.nn.nn.nnn:9997, oneTimeClient=0, _events.size()=20, _refCount=2, _waitingAckQ.size()=4, _supportsACK=1, _lastHBRecvTime=Thu Jan 20 11:07:43 2024 is using 20214400 bytes. Total tcpout queue size is 26214400. Warningcount=20

Note: This config works correctly starting 9.1.3/9.2.1. Do not use it with 9.2.0/9.1.0/9.1.1/9.1.2( there is incorrect calculation https://community.splunk.com/t5/Getting-Data-In/Current-dest-host-connection-is-using-18446603427033...).

Labels (1)
Tags (1)

gjanders
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This setting definitely looks useful for slow receivers, but how would I determine when to use it, and an appropriate value?

For example you have mentioned:

WARN AutoLoadBalancedConnectionStrategy [xxxx TcpOutEloop] - Current dest host connection nn.nn.nn.nnn:9997, oneTimeClient=0, _events.size()=20, _refCount=2, _waitingAckQ.size()=4, _supportsACK=1, _lastHBRecvTime=Thu Jan 20 11:07:43 2024 is using 20214400 bytes. Total tcpout queue size is 26214400. Warningcount=20

I note that you have Warningcount=20, a quick check in my environment shows Warningcount=1, if i'm just seeing the occasional warning I'm assuming tweaking this setting would be of minimal benefit?

Furthermore, how would I appropriately set the bytes value?

I'm assuming it's per-pipeline, and the variables involved might relate to volume per-second per-pipline, any other variables?

Any example of how this would be tuned and when?

Thanks

0 Karma

hrawat_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

If warning count is 1, then it's not a big issue. 
What it indicates is out of maxQueueSize bytes tcpout queue, one connection has occupied a large space. Thus TcpOutputProcessor will get pauses. maxQueueSize is per pipeline and is shared by all target connections per pipeline.
You may want to increase maxQueueSize( double the size).

0 Karma

gjanders
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Thanks, I'll review the maxQueueSize

If the warning count was higher, such as 20 in your example.

What would be the best way to determine a good value (in bytes) for maxSendQSize to avoid the slow indexer scenario?

0 Karma

hrawat_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

If Warningcount is high, then I would like to see if target receiver/indexer is putting back-pressure. Check if queues blocked on target. If queues not blocked, check on target using netstat

netstat -an|grep <splunktcp port>

and see RECV Q, if it's high. If receiver queues are not blocked, but netstat shows RECV Q is full, then receiver need additional pipelines.

If Warningcount is high because there was rolling restart at indexing tier, then set maxSendQSize to some 5% value of maxQueueSize.
Example

maxSendQSize=2000000
maxQueueSize=50MB

If using autoLBVolume, then have

maxQueueSize > 5 x autoLBVolume
autoLBVolume > maxSendQSize
Example

maxQueueSize=50MB
autoLBVolume=5000000
maxSendQSize=2000000

maxSendQSize is total outstanding raw size of events/chunks in connection queue that needs to be sent to TCP Send-Q. This happens generally when TCP Send-Q is already full.

autoLBVolume is minimum total raw size of events/chunks to be sent to a connection.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer at Splunk .conf24 ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...