Installation

How to Change Index for some HEC data?

karthikm
Loves-to-Learn Everything

I have a HEC and I am receiving logs from CloudWatch and the default index is set to "aws". From the same HEC token I am also receiving Firewall logs from CloudWatch and these logs are also going to the index "aws".

How can I transform the Firewall logs coming from the same HEC token from a different source to be assigned to index "paloalto"?

I tried using the below config but it doesn't work

props.conf

[source::syslogng:dev/syslogng/*]
TRANSFORMS-hecpaloalto = hecpaloalto
disabled = false

transforms.conf

[hecpaloalto]
DEST_KEY = _MetaData:Index
REGEX = (.*)
FORMAT = palo_alto

I created the index palo_alto in the cluster master indexes.conf, applied cluster bundles to the indexers.

And also applied the above config using deployment server to the Indexers.

For some reason the logs are still going to the aws index.

Labels (2)
Tags (2)
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @karthikm,

I suppose that you're speaking of an on-premise installation.

Which Add-On are you using for the data ingestion?

if I correctly remember, it's possible to define the index for each data source by GUI, anyway, you could see the inputs.conf in tha used Add-On and see if the inputs (as tey should be!) are in two different stanzas.

If not, you can override the index value finding a regex that identifies the Firewall Logs and follow the configurations described in my previous answer https://community.splunk.com/t5/Splunk-Search/How-to-change-index-based-on-MetaData-Source/m-p/61993... or other answers in Community.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

karthikm
Loves-to-Learn Everything

Hi @gcusello, yes it's distributed on-prem installation. I am not using any add-on for ingesting data.

I am using HTTP Event Collector Token to send AWS Cloudwatch logs to Splunk indexers (using load balancing).

From the GUI it's possible to select multiple indexes but use only the default index as the log index. So far all the logs are going to the default index and I don't see an option in the HEC settings or GUI where I can change the index name for partial logs coming through the HEC.

I tried overriding the index value as you mentioned, but it doesn't work.  Any idea what's wrong in the below config?

props.conf

[source::syslogng:dev/syslogng/*]
TRANSFORMS-hecpaloalto = hecpaloalto
disabled = false

transforms.conf

[hecpaloalto]
DEST_KEY = _MetaData:Index
REGEX = (.*)
FORMAT = palo_alto

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @karthikm,

ok for the input phase, but you need an Ad-On for the parsing phase, so you must have an Add-On otherwise, you have to manually create all the parsing rules.

Anyway, the approach is the one I described: you have to override the index value.

In addition I hint to analyze the Splunk Add-On for Amazon Web Services (AWS) at https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/1876 because maybe it could help you.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer Certification at ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...