Installation

Admin Credentials

adamjaber
Observer

Hello guys, so I'm currently trying to set Splunk Enterprise in a cluster architecture  (3 search heads and 3 indexers) on Kubernetes using the official Splunk operator and Splunk enterprise helm chart, so while trying to change the initial admin credentials on all the instances, I face the following issue where all instance will be up and ready as Kubernetes pods for except the indexers where they will not start and remain in an error phase without any logs indicating the reason for this, so the following is a snippet of my values.yaml file which is being provided for the Splunk Enterprise chart:

sva:
  c3:
    enabled: true
    indexerClusters:
      - name: idx
    searchHeadClusters:
      - name: shc
indexerCluster:
  enabled: true
  name: "idx"
  replicaCount: 3
  defaults: 
    splunk:
      hec_disabled: 0
      hec_enableSSL: 0
      hec_token: "test"
      password: "admintest"
      pass4SymmKey: "test"
      idxc:
          secret: "test"
      shc:
          secret: "test"
  extraEnv: 
  - name: SPLUNK_DEFAULTS_URL
    value: "/mnt/splunk-defaults/default.yml"

Initially, I was not passing the "SPLUNK_DEFAULTS_URL", but after some debugging the "defaults" field will write in "/mnt/splunk-defaults/default.yml" only, and by default, all instances read from "/mnt/splunk-secrets/default.yml" so I had to change it, and so what happened admin password had changed on all Splunk instances to "admintest" but the issue is indexers pods would not start.

Note: I tried to change the password by providing the "SPLUNK_PASSWORD" environment variable to all instances but the same behavior.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer at Splunk .conf24 ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...