Installation

500s when updating apps from GUI with walkaround

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hello there.

Posting just for reference.

It seems there is some misconfguration issue between splunkbase and the Splunk default config.

The default config says:

# /opt/splunk/bin/splunk btool server list applicationsManagement | grep updateHost
updateHost = https://apps.splunk.com

# /opt/splunk/bin/splunk btool server list applicationsManagement | grep Check
sslAltNameToCheck = splunkbase.splunk.com, apps.splunk.com, cdn.apps.splunk.com
sslCommonNameToCheck = apps.splunk.com, cdn.apps.splunk.com

However, the servers respond with:

# curl -v https://apps.splunk.com 2>&1 | grep subject:
* subject: C=US; ST=California; L=San Francisco; O=Splunk Inc.; CN=splunkbase.splunk.com

Whereas 8.2.5 (don't have any other 8.2 at hand to check) seems to work despite those settings, 9.0.3 enforces the settings strictly and says

ERROR X509 [25665 TcpChannelThread] - X509 certificate (CN=splunkbase.splunk.com,O=Splunk Inc.,L=San Francisco,ST=California,C=US) common name (splunkbase.splunk.com) did not match any allowed names (apps.splunk.com,cdn.apps.splunk.com)

Walkaround:

Overwrite the setting in server.conf with

[applicationsManagement]
sslCommonNameToCheck = splunkbase.splunk.com,apps.splunk.com,cdn.apps.splunk.com

Labels (2)

nzou
Explorer

I tried to override the settings in server.conf and restart the Splunk Enterprise, seems I still get 'uncaught exception"

And saw this in browser console:

common.js:1349 

POST http://localhost:8000/en-US/splunkd/__raw/services/apps/local 500 (Internal Server Error)

Tried to override some other settings under `applicationsManagement`, seems won't work...

And the error in _internal log sounds not useful at all.

12-07-2023 13:54:14.770 -0800 ERROR ApplicationUpdater [2903300 TcpChannelThread] - Unexpected error downloading update: Uncaught exception

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Check your effective config with btool to see if you've successfully overriden the settings.

But you may also be hitting some different issue.

0 Karma

nzou
Explorer

Checked, but seems there are some other issues. But the 'Uncaught Exception' error really doesn't help... 😞

Checked the splunkd log and python log as well, nothing special....

Contacted splunk support, until now, no update on this issue yet.

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Might be that there is another issue indeed. Keep us posted if there is something potentially hiting other users as well going on.

0 Karma

nzou
Explorer

This issue should have been solved by Splunk. Now, I can download and install my app without any problems. FYI.

0 Karma

jhupka_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I'm responding to add a +1 to this issue from a new Splunkbase app install perspective versus updating an existing app already installed.  Did your issue prevent you from updating the app?  I was able to install new Splunkbase apps fine, but still got the same X509 errors you 

Details:

I started with a fresh Splunk 9.0.3 install on Mac OSX, and I ran the same btool commands and was configured like you.

I tried installing a Splunkbase app from the Splunk GUI, and I found this in index=_internal after installing:

02-13-2023 11:44:52.351 -0700 ERROR X509 [2149013 TcpChannelThread] - X509 certificate (CN=splunkbase.splunk.com,O=Splunk Inc.,L=San Francisco,ST=California,C=US) common name (splunkbase.splunk.com) did not match any allowed names (apps.splunk.com,cdn.apps.splunk.com)
I was able to install a fresh copy of Splunk 9.0.3 and install an app from Splunkbase that I needed without any issues.

The app still installed with no issues...but I do see that chatty error.

I added a stanza like you to etc/system/local/server.conf and restarted Splunk:

[applicationsManagement]
sslCommonNameToCheck = splunkbase.splunk.com,apps.splunk.com,cdn.apps.splunk.com

This time, when I installed a Splunkbase app from the Splunk GUI I didn't see any more of those X509 ERROR logs.

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I could _not_ update the app. The update package would not download I assume. The UI would tell me that update failed with error 500. I could, however, see the update as available.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer at Splunk .conf24 ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...