Getting Data In

Why the error: Windows Event Logs: renderXml and evt_resolve_ad_obj?

ohbuckeyeio
Path Finder

I am deploying the Splunk Windows TA to my UFs.  My test case if UF 8.2.9 and Splunk_TA_windows 8.5. 

When I create inputs that have both renderXml=true and evt_resolve_ad_obj = 1, I am not receiving the SID translations. However, it works sending back standard events instead of XML. Is evt_resolve_ad_obj not supported with renderXml? The documentation makes no mention of this.

The "WinEventLog://Security" input has these settings applied, but the AD search results are not coming back for that input either.

I found nothing in the splunk.log showing any errors.

Here is an example I tried to build outside of the Security events. Again, the evt_resolve_ad_obj works if I remove renderXml=true:

[WinEventLog://Microsoft-Windows-PushNotification-Platform/Operational]
disabled = 0
start_from = oldest
current_only = 0
evt_resolve_ad_obj = 1
checkpointInterval = 5
index = win
renderXml=true

Labels (2)
0 Karma

Wanki
Loves-to-Learn Everything

I've encountered a similar issue with the Microsoft-Windows-DNS-Client/Operational log. I wonder if you've found a solution for this case. If you have, could you please share it with me?

0 Karma

ohbuckeyeio
Path Finder

I ended up removing the renderXml=true option. It does not look like evt_resolve_ad_obj works with XML or is broken.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Detecting Remote Code Executions With the Splunk Threat Research Team

WATCH NOWRemote code execution (RCE) vulnerabilities pose a significant risk to organizations. If exploited, ...

Enter the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge for Your Chance to Win!

The Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge is underway! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

.conf24 | Session Scheduler is Live!!

.conf24 is happening June 11 - 14 in Las Vegas, and we are thrilled to announce that the conference catalog ...