Getting Data In

Universal forwarder is not collecting events on Forwarded Folder of windows server

AKG
Path Finder

Hi All I am new to Splunk and having some issue...

we have a windows 2008r2 server setup as an event collector for windows servers. Event logs from windows server is being forwarded to this server and goes on to "Forwarded Events" folder.

Now I installed universal forwarder on this server with only "Forwarded Events Log" selected. When i go to splunk server, I can't see any events coming.

if I install with other option selected(e.g. Application Log), I can see application log of that server appearing on splunk server.

I was wondering if i am missing something and will appreciate if some one can guide me.

Note:- we have decided not to install splunk agents in every server and not to use wmi as the number of windows we have is lot(in hundreds).

Thank you in Advance.

1 Solution

rovechkin_splun
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

the is a slight bug in default configuration. The issue is that "Forwarded Events" have a space between them, while Windows ForwardedEvents event log doesn't. The workaround is to find all occurrences of "Forwarded Events" in *.conf stanzas and remove space, e.g.

Splunk\etc>find /s "Forwarded Events" *.conf

inputs.conf: [WinEventLog:Forwarded Events]

replace with [WinEventLog:ForwardedEvents]

reboot Splunk.

View solution in original post

kmjackson788
Engager

That fixes it.

%SystemRoot%\System32\Winevt\Logs\ForwardedEvents.evtx

The space [WinEventLog:Forwarded Events] does not work. Hopefully they fixed the documentation. ( I sent a documentation fix)

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/5.0.1/admin/Inputsconf

I dont have enough credit to upvote the above answer.

kmjackson788
Engager

They fixed the docs on inputs.conf. @rovechikin Should of submitted a change on the docs inputs.conf page to save people the frustration.

0 Karma

rovechkin_splun
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

the is a slight bug in default configuration. The issue is that "Forwarded Events" have a space between them, while Windows ForwardedEvents event log doesn't. The workaround is to find all occurrences of "Forwarded Events" in *.conf stanzas and remove space, e.g.

Splunk\etc>find /s "Forwarded Events" *.conf

inputs.conf: [WinEventLog:Forwarded Events]

replace with [WinEventLog:ForwardedEvents]

reboot Splunk.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer at Splunk .conf24 ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...