Getting Data In

The Search Works but the Dashboard is Erroring Out

Heritic88
Explorer

When I search this on its own it comes up with what I need but when I put it into the Dashboard it comes up with " Awaiting Data Input"

(index=windows_* OR index=win*) (sourcetype="wineventlog:security" OR source="wineventlog:security" OR sourcetype="xmlwineventlog:security" OR source="xmlwineventlog:security" OR sourcetype="wineventlog*" OR source="wineventlog*" OR sourcetype="xmlwineventlog*" OR source="xmlwineventlog*") signature_id IN (4720 4722 4725 4726 4738) Target_Account_Name!=*$ Subject_Account_Name!=*$
| eval signature=coalesce(signature, EventCode_Description)
| eval Computer_Name=coalesce(Computer_Name,ComputerName,Computer)
| eval New_Message=coalesce(Message,message,body,EventData_Xml)
| stats count earliest(_time) as earliest latest(_time) as latest values(Computer_Name) as src values(signature) as signature values(signature_id) as signature_id values(Logon_ID) as Logon_ID values(TaskCategory) as Task_Category values(Device_Name) as device by dest, Subject_Account_Name, Target_Account_Name, host
| convert timeformat="%m/%d/%Y %H:%M:%S" ctime(earliest)
| convert timeformat="%m/%d/%Y %H:%M:%S" ctime(latest)
| fields count earliest latest Target_Account_Name Subject_Account_Name signature signature_id dest host src Logon_ID Task_Category

Any  ideas?

Labels (2)
0 Karma

andrew_nelson
Communicator

As ITWhisperer mentioned, the use of $ is used in dashboards for tokens. 
It looks like you're trying to exclude system accounts in your search so removing the $ isn't really an option. 
You can also escape the $ with a double $$.

See Token usage in dashboards - Escaping the $ token delimiter character

Heritic88
Explorer

Thank you removing both $ actually killed my search but $ after the Target_Account_Name!=* and adding OR made it function beautifully!

(Original) Target_Account_Name!=*$ Subject_Account_Name!=*$

(Modified)   Target_Account_Name!=* OR Subject_Account_Name!=*$

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Remove the $ from the search - $ is used in dashboards to delimit token names, e.g. $token$ and searches won't run until the token is resolved

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Detecting Remote Code Executions With the Splunk Threat Research Team

WATCH NOWRemote code execution (RCE) vulnerabilities pose a significant risk to organizations. If exploited, ...

Enter the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge for Your Chance to Win!

The Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge is underway! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

.conf24 | Session Scheduler is Live!!

.conf24 is happening June 11 - 14 in Las Vegas, and we are thrilled to announce that the conference catalog ...