Getting Data In

Splunk forwarder not sending data - Linux

dustinbrown

Greetings,

I have 2 servers that suddenly stopped sending data to the indexer. I am struggling to find the root cause. I can telnet to the indexer from the forwarder just fine.

Here is the outputs.conf

[tcpout]
defaultGroup = default
disabled = false

[tcpout:default]
compressed = true
server = 10.x.x.x:9997
sslCertPath = $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/auth/server.pem
sslPassword = $1$wUgcTqWznVA=
sslRootCAPath = $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/auth/cacert.pem
sslVerifyServerCert = false

Here is the inputs.conf

[default]
host = xxxx

[SSL]
password = $1$PK3DT9mO4713
serverCert = /opt/splunk/etc/auth/server.pem
rootCA = /opt/splunk/etc/auth/cacert.pem

I currently have SSL turned off under server.conf

[general]
guid = xxxxx
serverName = xxxxx

[lmpool:auto_generated_pool_download-trial]
description = auto_generated_pool_download-trial
quota = MAX
slaves = *
stack_id = download-trial

[lmpool:auto_generated_pool_forwarder]
description = auto_generated_pool_forwarder
quota = MAX
slaves = *
stack_id = forwarder

[lmpool:auto_generated_pool_free]
description = auto_generated_pool_free
quota = MAX
slaves = *
stack_id = free

[lmpool:auto_generated_pool_enterprise]
description = auto_generated_pool_enterprise
quota = MAX
slaves = *
stack_id = enterprise

[license]
active_group = Enterprise

[sslConfig]
enableSplunkdSSL = false
sslKeysfilePassword = $1$eOiFDozCt+53

Other

The strange thing is, I have mimicked configuration from other servers that are forwarding traffic just fine. I have 2 that will not send any. The logs are not full of errors.

I took over splunk just recently so still very new to all of this.

Starting splunk in debug, I notice the following that looks odd.

05-31-2012 18:06:57.353 DEBUG TcpOutputProc - Cannot find any valid descriptors when looking for new indexer.
05-31-2012 18:06:57.353 DEBUG TcpOutputProc - Looking for indexer...
05-31-2012 18:06:57.353 DEBUG TcpOutputProc - Connection not available. Waiting for connection ...

Does any one have any insight??

0 Karma

wrangler2x
Motivator

I am experiencing this with one of my forwarders. I installed the forwarder software, got the thing up-and-running using port 9998, and was taking logs from it on the indexer. After running just fine for a week, the logs just quit coming. On the indexer I see this error in splunkd.log:

10-13-2014 11:08:22.115 -0700 ERROR TcpInputProc - Error encountered for connection from src=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:50059. error:140760FC:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_CLIENT_HELLO:unknown protocol

There is no connection established for the forwarder on the indexer (using netstat to look for it). Nothing that I know of has changed on either system. Very strange. did you ever find out what caused it?

mloven_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I'm assuming that the inputs.conf you posted is from your indexer?

If so, I don't see a stanza in your inputs.conf for port 9997.

0 Karma

dustinbrown

We do have SOS installed and running. I see the following error for one of the servers but not the other

05-31-2012 17:57:24.909 +0000 ERROR TcpInputProc - Error encountered for connection from src=x.x.x.x:36447. error:140760FC:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_CLIENT_HELLO:unknown protocol
host=xxxxxx Options| source=/opt/splunk/var/log/splunk/splunkd.log Options| component=TcpInputProc Options| log_level=ERROR Options

0 Karma

sdaniels
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You may want to install the Splunk on Splunk app to help with troubleshooting issues. http://splunk-base.splunk.com/apps/29008/sos-splunk-on-splunk

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer at Splunk .conf24 ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...