Getting Data In

OSX - Unsigned library raises error for python3 modular input?

paolo_prigione1

Hi, I developed a modular input making use of Python Cryptodome library (https://pycryptodome.readthedocs.io). When executing it on a Mac OsX Ventura, it raises the error:

... _raw_ecb.abi3.so' not valid for use in process: mapped file has no cdhash, completely unsigned? Code has to be at least ad-hoc signed.

When executing the same code with a brew-installed python3.7, the code runs fine.

Minimal example

# create and activate a virtual environment:
python3.7 -m venv venv
source venv/bin/activate
# install necessary lib
python3.7 -m pip install pycryptodomex
# exit the virtual env
deactivate
# move to where the packages have been stored
cd venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages

Test #1

Execute "python3.7", and then type:

from Cryptodome.Cipher import AES

---> no error is raised

Test #2

Start the python3 interpreter bundled in splunk

splunk cmd python3

>>> from Cryptodome.Cipher import AES

OSError: Cannot load native module 'Cryptodome.Cipher._raw_ecb': Not found '_raw_ecb.cpython-37m-darwin.so', Cannot load '_raw_ecb.abi3.so'
.../_raw_ecb.abi3.so' not valid for use in process: mapped file has no cdhash, completely unsigned? Code has to be at least ad-hoc signed.), Not found '_raw_ecb.so'

I found this interesting article about similar problems on Inkscape: https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape/-/issues/2299 and then I executed:

codesign -d --entitlements - /Applications/Splunk/bin/python3.7m

Executable=/Applications/Splunk/bin/python3.7m
   [Dict]
   [Key] com.apple.security.cs.disable-executable-page-protection
   [Value] [Bool] true

There is no allowance for unsigned libraries, apparently.

I tried this with Splunk v8.2.7 and v9.0.2 on an Intel-based Mac OSx Ventura.

Do you have any suggestions?

Labels (1)
0 Karma

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Not sure if I have the answer to your question but I want to update you regarding one thing:

• Splunk's Python built is not the same as what is published as Python build.
  • Splunk removes a lot of unused packages and adds more Splunk-related python packages.

I hope this helps!!!

0 Karma

paolo_prigione1

Thanks for pointing that out. It is known to me, and this is the first time I encounter such an issue. 

0 Karma

harry26
Observer

Having roughly the same issue with the cryptography dependancy. Did you ever find a solution?

0 Karma

paolo_prigione1

not really, I have to try other packages, or re-implement the modular input using golang and https://github.com/prigio/splunk-go-sdk

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...