Getting Data In

LINE_BREAKER not working with most basic settings

Cuyose
Builder

I have a json blob, lets ignore the fact it is json for now. I simply want to force Splunk to break a single blob on a word.

Where the string {"agent" exists multiple times, these are the the only settings I have set in props for the sourcetype.

SHOULD_LINEMERGE = false
LINE_BREAKER = {"agent

This should break, but it is not. Why is Splunk refusing to break this event? Again, I know this is json, but I want to understand LINE_BREAKER, as I have read about 3 novels on its use, and it repeatedly fails when implemented.

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The LINE_BREAKER attribute must contain a capture group. Be warned the contents of the capture group will be discarded so choose it carefully. It's perfectly legitimate to have an empty capture group as in LINE_BREAKER = (){"agent.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

The LINE_BREAKER will not function unless you give it a capture group (there is probably an error in your error log if you search for it with something like index=_* sourcetype=splunkd LINE_BREAKER capture). Everything in the capture group will be discarded. The capture group may be empty, but it MUST exist. Try this:

SHOULD_LINEMERGE = false
LINE_BREAKER = {"agent()
0 Karma

Cuyose
Builder

Thanks, I was making it more complicated in my head.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The LINE_BREAKER attribute must contain a capture group. Be warned the contents of the capture group will be discarded so choose it carefully. It's perfectly legitimate to have an empty capture group as in LINE_BREAKER = (){"agent.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Missed it by >that< much.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Combine Multiline Logs into a Single Event with SOCK - a Guide for Advanced Users

This article is the continuation of the “Combine multiline logs into a single event with SOCK - a step-by-step ...

Everything Community at .conf24!

You may have seen mention of the .conf Community Zone 'round these parts and found yourself wondering what ...

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...