Getting Data In

Indexed Extractions not working properly

klowke_svbz
Observer

Hi all,

we collect some json data from a logfile with a universal forwarder.
Most times the events were indexed correctly with already extracted fields, but for a few events the fields are not automatically extracted. 

If i reindex the same events the indexed extraction is also fine.

I did not find any entries in splunkd.log that it is not working.

Following props.conf is on the Universal fowarder and Heavy Forwarder (maybe someone could explain which parameter is needed on UF and which on HF):

[svbz_swapp_task_activity_log]

CHARSET=UTF-8
SHOULD_LINEMERGE=true
LINE_BREAKER=([\r\n]+)
NO_BINARY_CHECK=true
INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS=json
KV_MODE=none
category=Custom
disabled=false
pulldown_type=true
TIMESTAMP_FIELDS=date_millis
TIME_FORMAT=%s%3N

following props.conf is on the Searchhead:

[svbz_swapp_task_activity_log]
KV_MODE=none

The first time when it was indexed automatically it looks like:

klowke_svbz_2-1713950346225.png

When i reindex the same Event again to another index it looks fine:

klowke_svbz_1-1713950230552.png

In last 7 days it was working correctly for about 32000 event but for 168 events the automatic field extraction was not working.

Here is also the example event:

{"task_id": 100562, "date_millis": 1713475816310, "year": 2024, "month": 4, "day": 18, "hour": 23, "minute": 30, "second": 16, "action": "start", "step_name": "XXX", "status": "started", "username": "system", "organization": "XXX", "workflow_id": 14909, "workflow_scheme_name": "XXX", "workflow_status": "started", "workflow_date_started": 1713332220965, "workflow_date_finished": null, "escalation_level": 0, "entry_attribute_1": 1711753200000, "entry_attribute_2": "manual_upload", "entry_attribute_3": 226027, "entry_attribute_4": null, "entry_attribute_5": null}

Does someone have an idea why it is sometimes working and sometimes not?

When i would now change the KV_Mode on search head the fields are shown correctly for these 168 events but for all others the fields are extracted twice. Using spath with same names would extract it only once.

What is the best workaround for already indexed events to get proper search results.

Thanks and kind regards
Kathrin

Labels (2)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer at Splunk .conf24 ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...