Getting Data In

How to view Splunk data retention without access to indexes.conf?

wzgoda
Explorer

Hello-

I am auditing a company and am trying to determine the retention time for Splunk logs. I have been reading that you need access to the indexes.conf file, but I am unable to access it. Is there a command or somewhere else I can look in order to figure out the retention period?

Thanks

0 Karma
1 Solution

justinatpnnl
Communicator

You can use the rest api from a splunk search:

| rest /services/data/indexes

This should give you all of the configuration info you need.

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.4.1/RESTREF/RESTintrospect#data.2Findexes

View solution in original post

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

You can run this report which was published at bucket retention and frozenTimePeriodInSecs

The query is -

| dbinspect index=* | join index [|rest /services/data/indexes| eval index=title | table index frozenTimePeriodInSecs ] | eval toNow=now()-endEpoch | convert num(toNow) | convert num(frozenTimePeriodInSecs) | convert ctime(endEpoch) AS endEvent | convert ctime(startEpoch) AS startEvent | eval shouldBeFrozen=if( ( state!="hot" AND state!="thawed" ) AND toNow>frozenTimePeriodInSecs,"yes","no") | table index path id state startEvent endEvent shouldBeFrozen toNow frozenTimePeriodInSecs
0 Karma

christian_clout
Explorer

The Distribution Management Console also shows information about Data Retention if you are on 6.4.x.

0 Karma

SamHTexas
Builder

Where in Monitoring console do I find this info. please?

Tags (1)
0 Karma

justinatpnnl
Communicator

You can use the rest api from a splunk search:

| rest /services/data/indexes

This should give you all of the configuration info you need.

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.4.1/RESTREF/RESTintrospect#data.2Findexes

wzgoda
Explorer

Thanks! this with a dedup on title helped me!

0 Karma

ppablo
Retired

Hi @wzgoda

Glad you found your answer through @justinatpnnl
I see you upvoted his answer, but please don't forget to actually resolve the post by clicking "Accept" directly below his answer.

0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try this:

|dbinspect | convert ctime(endEpoch) | convert ctime(startEpoch) | table index, endEpoch, startEpoch, rawSize, sizeOnDiskMB, eventCount
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...

Get ready to show some Splunk Certification swagger at .conf24!

Dive into the deep end of data by earning a Splunk Certification at .conf24. We're enticing you again this ...

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Now On-Demand Join us to learn more about how you can leverage Service Level Objectives (SLOs) and the new ...