Getting Data In

How to use Lookup table to analyze events?

waJesu
Path Finder

I created a lookup table for blacklisted DNS queries. I need a query that uses the lookup table to see if domains in the lookup table are present in events in my environment. 

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Assuming you have a "domain" field in both the lookup file and an index, this should get you started.

index=foo [ | inputlookup denieddomains.csv | field domain | format ]

The subsearch (inside square brackets) fetches the contents of the lookup table (I made up a name - replace it with your own), extracts only the "domain" field, then formats the results into a search string which is then returned to the main search for execution.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

waJesu
Path Finder

I tried this and it did not return results.

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This is a bit vague.

What fields and values do you have in your lookup table?

What corresponding fields do you have in your events?

0 Karma

waJesu
Path Finder

The lookup table has a single field "DNS" with all the blocklisted dns requests e.g. bliss.com, sugar.plux.net etc.. The corresponding field in the events could be dns_queries

0 Karma

waJesu
Path Finder

I meant dns_query

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
index=foo [ | inputlookup denieddomains.csv | field DNS | rename DNS as dns_query | format ]

waJesu
Path Finder

It worked. Thank you very much. May you please explain to me what each part of the query does so that next time I can create personal queries of the same kind.

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The subsearch retrieves the DNS names from the lookup and renames the field so that it matches the field name used in the events. The format essentially expands to something like this 

index=foo (( dns_query="value1") OR (dns_query="value2"))

waJesu
Path Finder

Thank you. I really appreciate.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Detecting Remote Code Executions With the Splunk Threat Research Team

WATCH NOWRemote code execution (RCE) vulnerabilities pose a significant risk to organizations. If exploited, ...

Enter the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge for Your Chance to Win!

The Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge is underway! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

.conf24 | Session Scheduler is Live!!

.conf24 is happening June 11 - 14 in Las Vegas, and we are thrilled to announce that the conference catalog ...