Getting Data In

How to override default for INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS?

lumpymilk
Explorer

According to documentation here, under the title "Clear a setting":
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.0.5/Admin/Howtoeditaconfigurationfile

A configuration setting that appears in default can be overridden by an empty setting in local. This often works for things like FIELDALIAS, EVAL, EXTRACT, REPORT and others except I notice it does NOT work for the INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS setting. It looks like the routine that validates this setting will choke if one of the known-good values is not present. So then, if a vendor set INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS=json in their add-on, I might try and set INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS= in the local/props.conf for that same sourcetype, hoping to instead do my JSON on a select few json nodes.

If I did try that, and as Splunk has documented it, then I would find the file would no longer be read in at all. Instead I'd find the following in splunkd.log:

ERROR IndexedExtractionsConfig - Invalid value=''  for parameter='INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS'.

and that would be followed by:

ERROR TailReader - Ignoring path="/myvendorApp/logs/filename.log" due to: Invalid indexed extractions configuration - see prior error messages

If anyone knows how to make this work for INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS, please let me know.

Labels (1)

dbot2001
Path Finder

Just hit this issue, did you find a solution?

0 Karma

to4kawa
Ultra Champion

what's your props.conf?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...

Updated Data Management and AWS GDI Inventory in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to Data Management and Infrastructure Inventory for AWS. The Data Management page, ...