Getting Data In

How to exclude specific time ranges in search results

jedatt01
Builder

I have a datasource which contains availability statistics from an application. I also have a predetermined maintenance schedule that occurs every two weeks on the same day and time. How can I use search to exclude the date/time ranges for my maintenance schedule in my search results?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

somesoni2
Revered Legend

If do something like this

index=yourIndex| eval MaintEnd=strptime("2014/03/26 11:00:00 AM","%Y/%m/%d %H:%M:%S %p") | eval MaintStart=strptime("2014/03/26 10:50:00 AM","%Y/%m/%d %H:%M:%S %p") | where _time > MaintEnd OR _time < MaintStart

View solution in original post

jiman7697
Explorer

If you're trying to detect a 0-event period excluding some outage window timeframe, here's a generic search you could use:

index=my_index sourcetype=my_sourcetype  my_filter_criteria_here
| timechart span=1m count 
| search count=0 
| where NOT (date_wday=="sunday" AND date_hour >= 0 AND date_hour < 4)

I'm doing the where clause after detecting 0-event minutes because if you initially filter by those windows, you'll see no events there. Obviously if you are looking for a certain event rather than monitoring for a void in events you can do that filter right in the first line of the search.
You'd have to add more to your where clause to specify bi-weekly windows.

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

If do something like this

index=yourIndex| eval MaintEnd=strptime("2014/03/26 11:00:00 AM","%Y/%m/%d %H:%M:%S %p") | eval MaintStart=strptime("2014/03/26 10:50:00 AM","%Y/%m/%d %H:%M:%S %p") | where _time > MaintEnd OR _time < MaintStart

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If the maintenance window were every wednesday between 3am and 5am you could do this:

index=yourIndex NOT (date_wday=wednesday date_hour>=3 date_hour<5)

Then Splunk would not even load those events off disk - great if a lot of volume happens during maintenance.
However, I don't think there's a straightforward way of specifying "every other wednesday".

jedatt01
Builder

That gets me closer. Now how can I specify a relative day, like every friday?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...