Getting Data In

How to add own WAN IP using a script?

eherbst63
Explorer

Hi guys,

I'm monitoring external Web Server logs and want to run an Alert detecting errors caused by other IP addresses than my own WAN IP assigned from my Internet provider.

Though, I thought I'd run a script during index-time for sourcetype "http:errors:linux" that gives back just my external IP into new/additional field "own_wan_ip". This needs to be done at index-time and not at search time as external IP changes quite often leading to wrong "own_wan_ip" when adding at search time.

My python mini-script:

#!/usr/bin/env python3
import os
os.system('dig +short txt ch whoami.cloudflare @1.0.0.1')

I tried to find some solution in Splunk's documentation like this https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.2.7/Data/Configureindex-timefieldextraction but there's only regex-based creation.

If anyone could provide me a solution for this i'd really be happy.
Thanks in advance 🙂

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Splunk doesn't run scripts or external commands at index time, probably out of concern for performance.

Consider ingesting the data with a modular input (which can insert the IP address) or use Cribl to insert the IP address before the data gets to the indexers.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

eherbst63
Explorer

Not that what I'd like to read but... 🙂
Thanks for helping anyway,

Ekke

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Splunk doesn't run scripts or external commands at index time, probably out of concern for performance.

Consider ingesting the data with a modular input (which can insert the IP address) or use Cribl to insert the IP address before the data gets to the indexers.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Enter the Dashboard Challenge and Watch the .conf24 Global Broadcast!

The Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge is still happening, and it's not too late to enter for the week of ...

Join Us at the Builder Bar at .conf24 – Empowering Innovation and Collaboration

What is the Builder Bar? The Builder Bar is more than just a place; it's a hub of creativity, collaboration, ...

Combine Multiline Logs into a Single Event with SOCK - a Guide for Advanced Users

This article is the continuation of the “Combine multiline logs into a single event with SOCK - a step-by-step ...