Getting Data In

How to Forward Data from Splunk Enterprise to TCP Syslog Server?

jamaluddin-k
Explorer

Hi,

I have a simple TCP syslog server in the same network where I have setup my Splunk Enterprise platform 9.10. I am trying to forward the data polled into Splunk Enterprise by Add-On apps to the TCP Syslog Server. But even after configuring it from settings> Forwarding and Receiving, I am getting error like connection Timed out.

Can anyone suggest what is being missed or needs to be looked into here.

Thank you

Labels (4)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @jamaluddin-k,

forwarding data from GUI is a feature to send logs to another Splunk instance not to a syslog server.

If you want to send logs to a syslog server, you have to follow the instructions at https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/9.1.1/Forwarding/Forwarddatatothird-partysystemsd#Syslo...

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

jamaluddin-k
Explorer

Hi @gcusello ,

I see, That was a big gap on my end. But I also already had tried the Syslog Forwarding section on the URL you shared. I was not able to receive any data at the syslog server.

My output.conf file is as simple as below.

[syslog]
defaultGroup=syslogGroup

[syslog:syslogGroup]
server = 192.168.6.158:514

I initially felt that the syslog server configuration might have some issue or maybe network, but no I was able to send TCP message to the syslog server from the Splunk Enterprise VM Instance. Only the data from Splunk is not getting forwarded.

Both the Sysylog Server VM and Splunk Enterprise VM are in the same network.

Just curious, is the defaultGroup parameter got to do something here?

Thanks for your help.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @jamaluddin-k,

as you can see in the following question (https://community.splunk.com/t5/Getting-Data-In/send-a-subset-of-logs-via-syslog-to-a-Third-Party-an...) I had the same problem and I solved  adding in inputs.conf _TCP_ROUTING to all the sourcetypes and _SYSLOG_ROUTING to the three ones to send to syslog.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @jamaluddin-k,

forwarding data from GUI is a feature to send logs to another Splunk instance not to a syslog server.

If you want to send logs to a syslog server, you have to follow the instructions at https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/9.1.1/Forwarding/Forwarddatatothird-partysystemsd#Syslo...

Ciao.

Giuseppe

jamaluddin-k
Explorer

Thanks @gcusello 
I was able to fix the issue. Apart from the fact that 3rd part needs syslog forwarding as you mentioned, the issue was the default protocol. Splunk has it as UDP.

Thanks

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

A Guide To Cloud Migration Success

As enterprises’ rapid expansion to the cloud continues, IT leaders are continuously looking for ways to focus ...

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...