Getting Data In

How do we delete old data for only three files in the one index ?

kiranpanchavat1
Path Finder

we need to delete three files from the index 

I have used the |delete command to clean the indexed data and it’s deleted but still its showing under the source field.

source='/var/log/splunk/syslog/******/********' | delete

Labels (1)
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @kiranpanchavat1,

the delete command makes only a logical deleting of the events but it doesn't remove the deleted events from the buckets.

If you want to fully clean an index you can use the command 

./splunk clean eventdata -index <your_index>

if you want to remove all the entire buckets where the latest event exceeds a retention time, you could change the retention time for that index, wait for the deletion of old data and the set up again the the correct retention time disk.

It isn't possible to physically delete only a part of events in a bucket.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

kiranpanchavat1
Path Finder

@gcusello 

See, my data is stored in one index and in that index there are so many data is storing so i need to delete only the particular files 

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @kiranpanchavat1,

if you're speaking of delete an entire bucket, in Community there are some examples of deleting buckets but I didn't directly tested:

https://community.splunk.com/t5/Deployment-Architecture/How-to-manually-delete-buckets-in-cluster-pe...

https://community.splunk.com/t5/Deployment-Architecture/Delete-corrupt-bucket-or-down-index-in-clust...

If instead you want to delete only a part of a bucket it isn't possible, you can only make a logical deletion (delete command).

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

kiranpanchavat1
Path Finder

@gcusello Can you provide me the btprobe command details 

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

What do you mean by "still showing under the source field"?

Also, you know that delete doesn't physically remove the data from index files? Just marks them as inaccessible.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...