Getting Data In

How do I set _time with collect _raw?

yurykiselev
Path Finder

Hi!
I have to collect some JSON "as is" - not as key-value pair. How can I set event timestamp in this case?

... | eval _time=strptime(...) | table _time _raw | collect index="..."

... doesn't work: _time is ignored with _raw present and replaced with cirrent time. I could do:

... | eval data = _raw | table _time data | collect ... 

, but it generates key-value-event with "data={my_json_from_raw}"

0 Karma
1 Solution

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @yurykiselev,
If time is already in the _raw in a format that Splunk can understand easily then you will add addtime=false as a option with collect command and Splunk will automatically extracts time from _raw no need to extract separately.

If not the above scenario then you have to write props.conf for the source-type you are using.

• If time format is weird then you must have specify time format into TIME_FORMAT. (This may help you in writing that format)

• If time format is not available within first 128 characters of _raw event then you have to add MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD.

• You can also specify TIME_PREFIX. (props.conf may help you in all the configuration writing)

Hope this helps!!

View solution in original post

0 Karma

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @yurykiselev,
If time is already in the _raw in a format that Splunk can understand easily then you will add addtime=false as a option with collect command and Splunk will automatically extracts time from _raw no need to extract separately.

If not the above scenario then you have to write props.conf for the source-type you are using.

• If time format is weird then you must have specify time format into TIME_FORMAT. (This may help you in writing that format)

• If time format is not available within first 128 characters of _raw event then you have to add MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD.

• You can also specify TIME_PREFIX. (props.conf may help you in all the configuration writing)

Hope this helps!!

0 Karma

yurykiselev
Path Finder

Thank you! I added date at begin of data "%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S" - it's recignized without any props defineding.

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Nice!!, This time format is identify by Splunk so good for you.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...